Puzzle Cache Approval

Thot

[M]any times the hardest part of designing a puzzle cache is NOT making the puzzle itself, but assembling the framework of the puzzle and crafting the hints/guidance in such a way that it is not immediately obvious, but makes sense in retrospect. Some of the puzzles I've enjoyed most and had the most respect for were crafted extremely well to disguise the method used while still giving assistance, even if you couldn't see it at first glance.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

As this ends I make the following suggestion.

Here’s how I suggest unknown/puzzle cache approvals work:

The local reviewer reviews any coordinates involved as they are more likely to understand and/or have maps for the locations. If, after reviewing the verbal content of the cache they feel a better understanding of the structure, content and solution of the cache are necessary then this part would be handed off to a random approver from several states away. This reviewer would reconsider whether additional information is required, and if so, he/she would obtain it through email exchanges (so it isn’t available to the entire cast of behind the scenes players. Most or all of whom have no need to know it).

In considering what further understanding is needed the reviewer would ask the owner to answer these two questions specifically:

1) Is all the information needed to solve the puzzle available to the general caching community? That is, can it be solved without any kind of insider information or information which is not available to the general public?

2) Have you personally verified a cacher can solve the puzzle and find the cache from the information provided on the cache listing? All of the information need not be on the cache page but it must be able to be found from information on the cache page.

Trust the owners, treat them like responsible adults and only ask for further information if there is some reason to suspect something is wrong with the cache structure (Rather than assuming there’s something wrong until proven otherwise.) After all, you already have to trust a cache has really been placed, and that it doesn’t contain a stink bomb.

Assume if after these assurances there are flaws in the puzzle they will be surfaced by cashers attempting to solve/find it (Which is what happens in my area anyway). Assume that in the rare case the cacher has acted irresponsibly this will be reported and the appropriate action taken by Groundspeak.

Edited by Thot