What’s New Pussycat?

I’m always learning something new in these forums. Today, it was not from the topics themselves, but from just playing around on the website.

Every once in a while I discover a feature unknown to me. Sometimes they are useful; sometimes I just don’t get it (but I don’t get out much).

Today, I found a couple of things I had not noticed before.

At the top of each multi-page topic, where it lists the page numbers, you can click on the word “Page,” and direct yourself to any given page. Do you have any idea how much time I’ve spent clicking on those 3 little dots to forward to a desired page? Pretty cool.

And at the bottom of each post, there’s this little icon: addresscard.gif It’s a mini-profile of the poster, opened in another window. Cool, but so far, I haven’t really figured out what good it is.

Up at the top of each page there is the atb_calendar.gifCalendar. Yes, today is the first time I’ve noticed it! Maybe it’s always been there. Anyway, I checked it out and it is pretty cool, too. Only apparently I don’t know how to use it, or something.

So I got to looking around and, also, at the top of the page there’s a atb_help.gif Help button. I’ noticed this before, but never tried it, so…bingo, there’s a section on the calendar (and a lot of other good, useful information): “Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature.”

Oh, well, I’ll work on that later.

A few months ago I found the t_options.gifbutton at the bottom of each page. This, too, is very cool. You have several options, including downloading the entire topic to your hard drive.

I learned last year, that in a forum index, you can click on the number of replies for any topic and see (in another window) who has posted to that thread and how many times. I use that all the time, but it would be even better if it would direct you to the actual comments posted by a given user.

Probably the coolest feature (IMO) is the PM function. I use that a lot. BTW, I figured that one out right after I joined this site. :mad:

How many of the features offered on this site do you use. What and how often? Are there any secret buttons I may not know about? Is it just me, or does Jeremy just quietly sneak these things in? ;):)

All of the features mentioned have been part of the forum software since it was implemented by Groundspeak in November 2003. They haven't been added in as upgrades. Thanks for a nice survey and tutorial on some of the more obscure bells and whistles!

A couple more...

If you click on the little "down" arrow in a box immediately at the left of the thread title, it'll zip you to the last post since you read this thread. And if there isn't a down arrow there, there haven't been any posts since you read it. (Boy does THAT save time!)

If click on Last Post By it'll zip you to the last post in the thread.

Edited by RockyRaab
If you click on the "New" as in "Getting Started NEW" it will mark that forum as read.

Thanks! That's another convenient one I didn't know about. :lol:;)

I've done something bad while using this feature.

I used to open new windows up for each forum. Then mark them off as read. Problem is: if I did this before I actually opened up the topics, the little (->) arrow thing that directs you to the last post read will not work correctly.

I now use ONE window for both the root (Groundspeak.com/index?) forum page and the forum areas. Then open up each TOPIC THREAD in a new window. THEN click the "Mark forum as read" to mark the ones off that I don't want to read, and return to the root forum page. That way each area gets marked off as I go, and I don't miss anything. I've personally noticed that the speed of new posts going on here at any given time is usually enough that you will miss something (good) if you try hop around. Doing is systematically means I can read it all and add much more sarcastic quips.

E

Edited by Marcie/Eric