How To Use Mapsend Topo 3d Without Cd Drive?

I just bought the Mapsend Topo 3D USA. (The 3D view is a really nice feature - at least to look at.)

I was wondering how I can use my Mapsend Topo 3D USA without a CD drive. I downloaded all 3 CD on my hard drive and installed from there. While this installation seemed to go well, Topo 3D always prompts me for Disk 3 during launch. I tried to mount it as an image via Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% to no avail.

Any ideas? I plan on using this software during extended travel on my laptop and do not want to carry a CD around.

Since above so far has not worked, I also tried to make a back-up copy of Disk 3 because if I have to carry the CD around I at least want to make sure it is not the original. I rather want it safely stored at home. Same problem here – the copy is not being recognized by Topo 3D.

I see – darn! I was hoping I could leave my original CD at home at a safe place! It would have been nice if Magellan had chosen some other means to protect the software, e.g. with a serial # and/or potentially even with an online activation/registration step, like the majority of s/w manufacturers seem to do it these days, incl. Microsoft. How unfortunate!

I wonder if Magellan replaces a scratched CD free of charge….

This is one of the major sore points with those of us who have suppported Magellan over the years. I have purchased a SporTrak Pro, a SporTrak Color, and now an Explorist 600. I have also purchased the software packages Topo, Direct Route, and Topo 3D.

When I first tried to load DR maps into my new Explorist it failed because I had not entered my serial number correctly (The numbers are different in software and the sticker in the battery compartment ???) I thought my version of DR 1.00 was not compatible since their site says the v2.00f is what is compatible with the Explorist units. I called them up to find out how to upgrade and was informed that I would have to purchase the software again!! :mad:;) I gave them a few choice words and threatened to sell my units and buy Garmin - idle threats for now :)

Companies that treat paying customers like this usually hurt from it in the long run. When they value the advise of their attorneys over the loyality of their customers they will not grow and their capacity for R&D will suffer. The glaring shortcomings of the new Explorist series is bold evidence that this is true of Magellan - in my opinion.

Umm,, asking how to create a copy of copy-protected software probably isn't a good idea. I'm sure *you* have very honest and legitimate reasons for creating a backup copy in order to prevent the original from getting damaged..

But,, there are too many hacker/pirates around that would use the same information to create free versions of the software for personal profit. We cannot distinguish one from the other around here :mad: and I would encourage noone here to publically assist by describing such a process.

Edited by IVxIV

IVxIV

I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion on this matter but actually making backups of your legally purchased software is legal though it gets exploited.

If magellan replaces scratched or non working original CD than I wouldn't have a problem if they flat out tell you "tough luck" than I would.

DOT-COM, did you read my whole post?

I thought I was pretty clear explaining why it's bad practice to publically describe how to copy copy-protected software, and I'm not looking to get into a lengthy discussion about it either.. I have no problem with an honest person trying to make a backup of a CD in order to protect their investment, but wouldn't you agree that same info would be used by software pirates too?

I'm an administrator of another forum (non-Geocaching) and there we have strict policy to NOT discuss software copying. Not sure what the rule is around this place but I'd suspect it would be something similar.

If you want to help this guy with his copy then PM him the instructions, don't post it publically.

There is a way to hack the exe file and get the program to run without having to use the CD. Goto the Yahoo groups forum page and search for mapsend (i think) It takes a hex editing program to do the changes . I got a program off of the internet and did the hack and now I do not have to load the cd each time.

Cheers

Muddler

I'd suggest searching on "hex" as Mapsend will probably bring up a lot of bad hits. Also, don't overlook that the search engine in the yahoo messages section will require repeating the search on sections of messages; it won't look at everything all at once.

If magellan replaces scratched or non working original CD than I wouldn't have a problem if they flat out tell you "tough luck" than I would.

I can say that my Disk 3 for mapsend Topo 3D cracked from the center out from using it in my laptop Magellan replaced it for free. The downside is I could not use my program for two weeks while the disks made a round trip to Oklahoma and back.

Paul

Unfortunately, all those hex addresses I found in my web research so far pertain to either earlier s/w versions or for areas I do not have.

This is what I bought:

* Topo3D USA 1.0

* Directroute NA 2.00f

I would appreciate if somebody could post a link or pm me.

TIA!

Although the version No. was different I saved a copy of the excutable and modified the copy. I edited the executable as per the directions and then ran the copy. It asked for the disk but when you tell it "cancel" it will runs the program anyway.

Cheers

Muddler