Upgrading Issues

Rubiconlwb

B) I own a Garmin E-trex Vista and have used it extensively for the two years I've had it. I use MetroGuide North America Ver 6.0 (upgraded from Ver 4.5) and the combination is perfect for what I do. I get driving directions, I check my speed on the highway and obviously, I geocache. I have been looking at the new Vista C (the color version) and it looks very nice. It seems it would be easier to read and has some added features that I would love to have. Problem? From what I have read my MetroGuide will not work on this unit. So not only do I have to upgrade the GPS but I have to upgrade the software. For those of you who have the 'C', would it be worth the money to upgrade to it and then purchase new software? If so, what software should I use that would be comparable to the MetroGuide? B)

I had the same problem. Vista +Metroguide. BUT one look at the 60c and my checkbook was hooked. The base map sucks sooo I needed software too. I got city select $119. ouch B) But its good software much better then metroguide. )I used GPSnow and was happy with their service. Called me with in 15 minutes of my online order to advise that my order was being shipped. Ordered at 5:15 pm est. Arrived the next day at 10:45 Am. Yes I did the overnight thing. Price of the 60c $357.00 less $50.00 rebate from Garmin. Also got the mounting bracked for the truck and DC power cord. On a 1 to 10 scale GPSnow gets a 9.9. I will use them again when needed. BTW you will love the 60c

Hope this helps

Garmin states "MetroGuide offers automatic route capability on the PC, and is compatible with Garmin units that do not have automatic route calculation themselves". So in theory, it could be used, but you won't get auto-routing. I too owned a Vista, but like Ralphbongo upgraded to the 60C. Since that purchase, I've bought City Select NA, Topo US, suction cup mount, DC adapter, bike mount, and a Gilsson external antenna. I'd say for straight geocaching, I prefer the Topo, but with auto-routing, having both is great.

:) Thanks for the comments! I will look into the 60c and see what I think. The only information that I have on the MetroGuide not being compatible is in the compatibility chart that is shown on the Garmin site. If you select the Vista C, the MetroGuide is not listed. I also found GPSnow.com as they had the cheapest price for the Vista C and I wrote to them asking these same questions. They told me that the recommended software for the Vista C is CitySelect. They were not sure if I could use MetroGuide with the Vista C for sure. If I do decide to buy a new GPS, it will probably be with GPSnow.com. As I understand it, the form factor for the Vista C is enough different from the Vista that you have to buy new cases, mounts, power adapters. I already have all that stuff for my current Vista (neoprene case, suction mount, hard mount, bike mount, home power adapter, car adapter, data cable). That fact added to the new GPS and new software will run into some real money and since my current GPS works just fine, I'm thinking I would be a fool to upgrade now. Maybe when I HAVE to, would be a better idea. Thanks for the feedback! Edited by Rubiconlwb

I have a Vista too and needed a new organizer for business. So I got a Pocket PC (PPC) only to find out that there are tremendous auto-navigation programs like Mapopolis on a screen twice as large as the 60c in great color outperforms any GPS's autonavigation, in my opinion. It has complete voice prompts something the GPS's dont have as well as visual prompts. Add gpxtomaplet and you have icons of all the caches on the screen so you can just tap the icon to get info on the cache and then hit it again to autoroute to the cache.. Add gpxsonar and you are completely paperless as all the cache web pages including hints are then stored and accessed on your PPC, another thing GPS's cannot do.

The PPC also allows me to transfer 24K topo maps from NG Topo. GArmin's topo is in 100K scale.

I still use my Vista for off road aand backup although I can and do use my PPC as well. Mapopolis provide arrows, coordinates, distance to cache and compass rose as well.

Of course, I have the PPC for business using it synced with Outlook on my computer so I can select any contact and auto-route to their house or business. I can store pictures, play games, create to do lists, use for calender and tasks etc.

For what you're going to spend on a 60c with Citi-select. You might wish to check out PPC's.

Edited by Alan2

That is a problem. I use a waterproof plastic case with neck lanyard. But it's hard to scribe through the overplastic. But it serves its purpose for waterproofing (not shock resistant) for around $35.

Here's another solution I just found. It's pricey but its waterproof and shockresistant and has a plastic esxtensionfor the CF GPS card. link