Anglo/irish Link Events

Plans for what we hope will be an Annual Event Series linking UK and Irish geocachers is now well under way. And this thread has been started to allow us to keep everyone up todate, and to allow us to run ideas past you to gauge interest for planned activitys.

First piece of News.

Fast Pub But No Wet Feet Cache Event has been approved. This is the event Eckington took upstairs for pre permission. And is linked into the Anglo/Irish cache event in Dublin

I'd just like to point out the following points to make sure that everyone is aware of them.

As Irish Ferries do not accept group bookings anyone wishing to travel on the ferry is responsible for booking their own ticket (there is discounts for minibuses and coach passengers, so if a group wish to get together to arrange something, please step forward and nominate one person to make the arrangements)

The proposed location (to be confirmed) of the Event in Dublin is The Vaults and the organisers need to confirm the no's wishing to have a meal and we have set a cut off date of 1st of August for those wishing a meal (after this date anyone not confirming with us will have to take a chance on the availability of bar meals) to ease things at the venue the meal will I will be selling the meal tickets on the ship.

As interest has already been shown by non Dublin based Irish cachers for a overnight stay, my fellow organisers in Ireland intend to try and get a group discount. Again as they will need to confirm No's we have set a cut off date of June the 30th for confirmation by those who wish an overnight stay.

I have already had confirmation from English and Scotish cachers and as I'm based in Wales this is going to be a cache event where cachers from all parts of the UK and Ireland will be linking together.

Dave

I'm looking forward to a first visit to Dublin. This is a great excuse to visit a city that I have always wanted to go to. Hopefully a weekend will be long enough to 'clear' the city. :unsure:

I will attend the Irish bit of it only as Im flying from Edinburgh. Is the event page for this part of the event still to be finalised, or have I missed it?

Edited by Firth of Forth
I will attend the Irish bit of it only as Im flying from Edinburgh.  Is the event page for this part of the event still to be finalised, or have I missed it?

The final details, including venue booking, are still being worked on. It's believed that some people might want to stay overnight, and so we are trying to secure good-value accommodation (almost unheard of in Dublin) for advance bookings.

An event page will appear - in the mysterious way they do - shortly.

-Wlw.

The final details, including venue booking, are still being worked on

WLw is being discrete about that :blink: there is a lot of work going on in the background. The lads are probably cursing me for starting all this :unsure:. Due to the times of the ferry to the UK being changed some plans have gone out of the window as those returning on the Johnathon Swift will not have as long a hoped in Ireland, the alternative is to catch the later cruise ferry which has a knock on affect for those traveling by train (long waits for conections).

The down side is I've got all the hard work to do next year when we host them ;)

Dave

If the times of the ferry to/from Holyhead are causing problems, have you thought about other ports? Liverpool is probably a viable option, as well as being more convenient for some folks. You may even draw in a few more Lancs and West Yorkshire cachers.

T

The reason I didn't pick liverpool is because of several reasons:

i: it's a 8 hour minumun journey on the ferry each way, from experiance this can extend to 12 hours in bad weather, and both ships have to use locks to get to their berths in Liverpool, and at certain times of the tide have to wait outside of the locks. Also from experiance Norse Merchant ferrys do not have many facititys on board as it is aimed at commercial traffic, and I'd guess that P&O Irish Sea are the same as they used to run a service from Mostyn Docks which was the same.

ii: to make this route worth while we'd have to cross on the overnite service, and this means the ferry companies insist on passengers having a cabin, or Pullman Seat with the associated costs added on.

iii: Holyhead port has a direct train link to the port (as in the station is next to the port) Liverpool involves transfers from the station to the port). And has good network conections for boats.

iv: The Johnathon Swift is child friendly for anyone attending the events with children (please remember events are suposed to be open to all).

v: for those who wish to have more time in Ireland the Irish lads are looking into obtaining a group discount for those who wish to stay overnite.

Dave

Consider my throat well and truly jumped down!

Sorry Dave I didn't make myself all that clear what I meant. I was talking about the seacat not the normal ferry. Crossing time 4 hours. Facilities for passengers, no cabin required. I'm sure the bar is as child friendly as the bar on the Jonathan Swift! Admittedly the return time is a bit of a PITA being 23.59. Not sure how point (v) influences the choice of port, so I have no answer for that.

If we do make it over there it's likely to be on Ryanair though. Getting up at the crack of dawn to get down to Holyhead, followed by a ferry journey will leave us too knackered for any caches!

T

I wasn't jumping down your throat honest :) . If you don't fancy the drive to Holyhead there's always the option of the overnight stay in Dublin, allowing you a chance of hitting all the caches in and around Dublin, or you could be adventurous and camp out :). That's what I'm currently looking into. I picked Holyhead to allow those travelling from the parts of the UK shown on maps :unsure: (the south) the option of letting the train take the strain :) , as you walk straight from the station into the ferry terminal so no extra transfers needed. As the 23:59 Seacat does not arrive until 03:59 Transfers for anyone taking the train would have difficulty with transfers and a wait at the station for the first train out. And without upseting anyone from Liverpool I personaly would not like to leave a car parked unatended around there for nearly 24 hours :) .

Dave

I rang Stena line, to see if their HSS from Holyhead to Dublin took foot passengers...

... I stayed on hold for nearly forty minutes, although a recorded voice did assure me at regular intervals that my call was important to them, and that one of their Customer Service Advisors would be available shortly.

Deciding that the call wasn't as important to me as it was to them, I hung up.

-Wlw

Good point there Dave.

I am glad to be able to refute this slur on the people of Liverpool:

During the late 1980's I regularly left a car (a Mercedes-Benz 190 2.3, no less) at Liverpool docks - often for three or four days at a time. No harm ever came to it.

It is montrously untrue to imply that all Liverpudlians are thieves and chancers.

Only some of them are.

-Wlw.

As usual it's the few bad apples that spoil the barrel. When I was a kid we went to Liverpool for the day (can't remember what for!) and my dad's brand new Granada got nicked within about half an hour.

Never went back to the place until caching. We were driving down what looked like a nice street and I remarked to Pengy how it wasn't as bad as people make out. Then we turned round the corner and saw one of the streets sealed off with police tape and full of guys in 'forensic' suits.

T

I can confirm that the HSS does indeed take foot pasengers, it's just that the Johnathon Swift is a posher boat ;). Talking with my daughter on the way to her tutors, I realised that I've crossed from Rosslare-Pembroke both ways, Dublin-Holyhead both ways, Dun Laoghaire-Holyhead both ways, Dublin-Liverpool both ways. And I've travelled with B&I, Irish Ferries, P&O, Norse Merchant, Stena Line. And I've even seen the 03:00 ferry sail away from the Dock at Pembroke when I should have been on it :) .

On just checking the HSS and as there is a combined HSS-Dart ticket to Connolly station it looks like it might be the better choice. It'll just mean we'd have a chance to collect some cache swaps (Happy Meals). Old age is catching up with me :mad: , I thought it took longer than 2o minutes on the Dart. I do some more working out to see which route will work out the best. But at least the location wwon't change :D.

As for driving times (acording to Stena) Manchester is 2hrs10min, and Birmingham is 2hrs 55min.

Dave :D

Donnacha has put a lot of work into finding a possible venue for the event. And has been offered the use of a function room for free (usualy €550) but we'd have to chose from the following buffet options

Buffet

Salads

* Baked Baby Potatoes, Rosemary aioli

* Plum Tomato & Baby Mozzarella pesto

* Caesar Salad

* Marinated Fennel & Red Pepper

* Pear Blue Cheese & Roast Pine Nut

* Rocket, Red onion and oven baked Tomato balsamic dressing

* Salad Nicoise (Tuna)

Deli

* Selection of sliced Continental Meats (Salami, Pancetta, Chorizo, Parma Ham)

* Honey Mustard Glazed Ham

* Selection of Cheese, Pear and Red Pepper Chutney

* Smoked Salmon

* Selection of cooked and fresh Sea-food (Oysters, Mussels)

Hot Dishes

* Poached Salmon Fillet, Tomato and Caper Cream

* Braised Chicken, Button Mushrooms, Smoked Bacon, Fresh Herbs

* Roast Saddle of Lamb, Wild Mushroom Farce, Tarragon Jus

* Confit Duck Leg, Red Wine Sauce,

* Roast Loin of Pork, Apple Sauce

* Baked Cod Fillet, Herb Crust, Mustard Cream

* Spinach and Ricotta Tortellini and Roast Garlic and Tomato Sauce

* Thai Green Curry with Rice

* Roast Rib Eye of Beef

* Thai Beef Curry and Rice

Desserts

* White Chocolate and Lime Tart

* Banana Crème Brulee

* Exotic Fruit Salad flavoured with Star Anis

* Chocolate and Orange Marquise

BUFFET OPTIONS & PRICES

* €32.50 (Option 1) = 2 x salad, 1 x deli, 1 x hot, 1 x dessert

* €37.00 (Option 2) = 2 x salad, 2 x deli, 2 x hot, 1 x dessert

* €42.00 (Option 3) = 3 x salad, 3 x deli, 2 x hot, 1 x dessert

* €46.50 (Option 4) = 4 x salad, 4 x deli, 2 x hot, 1 x dessert

As you can see option one will work out around £21 per head, the alternatives are

Charge everyone a fee per head (to cover the cost of the room) and we provide a buffet

or for Donnacha to look for a deferent location for the event

I'd like peoples opinions and feed back on this.

Dave

Come on folks! We need your input to help move our plans forward, so please give us your thoughts and comments. Do you want a buffet at the venue? Are you just going to eat on the boat before you arrive? Considering the uniqueness of this event we're walking on unknown ground so without input we're working in the dark.

Would everyone prefer a change of arrival destination to Dun Laoghaire giving a later departure time of 21:35. allowing more time for caching and sight seeing.

Come on folks! We need your input to help move our plans forward, so please give us your thoughts and comments.

I also can't leave the current venue hanging on for an answer, and I don't want to go back and forward with different arrival times. The first thing to decide is where are you going to arrive?

I'm sorry folks but despite several requests for feedback on the chosen route, venue and the buffet on offer. No one has even bothered to give any feed back which after the amount of work put in by my self and others is extremely disappointing, considering the interest first shown when I raised the idea. As decisions have to be made very soon, and as I'm not prepared to commit to a buffet at £21 per head and I'm even prepared to change the route (but not the departure destination, which I personally believe is the best one for those travelling from different parts of the UK). I must presume one of the following:

i: my public stance on obtaining permission to place caches has upset too many people

or

ii:everyone has appeared to have lost interest in this unique event!

As to attend this event involves a major commitment to attend it, I'm trying to make sure that everything is right, without feedback this is virtually impossible. Despite the amount of time and effort members of the Irish geocaching community, and all the time that my wife has put in with me looking into various options (including looking into sourcing coaches from various locations in the UK, contacting Irish Ferries directly to see if we could negotiate a group discount, despite being forewarned that they do not give group discounts to foot passengers. Planing a trip to Anglesey to look at camp sites to find a suitable one for those who expressed a opinion that they would be camping to enable them to attend the event) I am now seriously considering abandoning both events. As I feel that community now has no interest in attending.

Dave :laughing:

Hi Dave

Not all of us look at the forum's daily but we'll give you some feed back..

We have no objection to either route you decide is best.

As for the venue, again no problems but the buffet is a little steep. The last event we went to and dined was the St George's Day do near Wrexham, and we had a lovely roast dinner for £4.95 a head, can't the Irish lads find something more in that line.

i: my public stance on obtaining permission to place caches has upset too many people

not upset us Dave

or

ii:everyone has appeared to have lost interest in this unique event!

we haven't

end quote

we're also hoping to camp out on Anglesey so would also be interested in what you find.

I am now seriously considering abandoning both events. As I feel that community now has no interest in attending.

end quote

Don't do that Dave we love you really and think you're doing a great job arranging all these events, we had a great time last weekend at the 'Steam Train & Friends' event so why not see what the weekend brings.

Come on folks give your views.

Des & Bren

I'm not coming on the ferry, so I don't have an opinion about that part of the event. As for the venue in Dublin, I'm happy to go along with whatever the organisers decide. I appreciate that it may not be easy to find a central venue with easy access to the people coming from the port, that is a suitable size and that serves decent food.

Many thanks for all your efforts so far. I'm sure that they are appreciated by geocachers.

Edited by Firth of Forth

Dave,

Please don't abandon the events. The reason for the lack of responses it probably due to the fact that most people come on the forums at weekends. Also the weather this week has probably meant there are more people outdoors than at their PC.

Personally I would rather just buy a meal on the day. The cost of the buffet might put people off coming. I'm sure there must be pubs that will be happy with all the money going through the tills on food and drinks. I know when we had the meet at the Thatch and Thistle that the landlord was very happy afterwards with his takings.

T

pricing in Dublin is very different to that of the UK. you also have to remember that this venue is right in the centre of Dublin and it's no kip. We could maybe try some where in Tempe bar. You could still catch the shuttle from Connelly, and walk from there (20mins), renting a bus will cost €500 or there abouts. This decision needs to be made quickly, as I'm not going to mess the other venue around changing times etc, and if it's not wanted I'll need to go off and research another option.

The organisers may have to make an executive decision; it will be impossible to please everyone! :D

your right, but I'd hate to force those prices on people. price doesn't bother me, I used to paying through the nose for everything over here. Regardless of venue, can we get a list of who wants to go, and then take it from there? A decision also has to be made on what port you want to arrive in.

Come on folks if you are going to attend please post so! So that we can have some idea of no's! As the miniscule amount of feed back re the cost of the buffet was negative, I'll take that the consensus of every one is that they will not want the buffet! And suggest that Donnacha looks for another venue!

Also I've had to make a executive decision re which route we use.

Johnathon Swift will give aprox 5 hours to which to attend the event and get some caching/site seeing in.

HSS will give aprox 11 hours to which to attend the event and get some caching/site seeing in. As it looks like this is the better option, I intend to change the route to Holyhead- Dun Laoghaire on the HSS.

So the ferry route is now as follows:

Depart Holyhead 08:55 arive in Dun Laoghaire 10:45, from there it is a 20 minute ride on the Dart into Dublin (note you can get a combined return day ticket for the HSS/Dart).

Departing Dun Laoghaire 21:35 arrival Holyhead 23:50.

For this event to go forward we need No's. So please post your name if you mean to attend. I had a large no say they were interested but have failed to give us any input.

Lynn and I have been planning on attending this one as well, Dave. I do have a problem committing though as I'm not too sure of my work schedule. Currently it looks like I'll be either offshore or working at Wytch Farm in Dorset. However, that can change. Hence, I would not want to commit to the food etc.

Martin & Lynn

The Forester and Team Maddie UK thanks for the replys :huh: . From the feed back re the buffet and its cost the location for the venue in Dublin is going to have to be rearranged. One of the reasons I started this crazy idea is to allow cachers with totally different cultural ways, meet and exchange views and ideas. To the Irish cachers the buffet seemed reasonable to the UK cachers who are used to paying £4 to £5 for a meal this was a bit of a shock.

Due to personal circumstances (2 members of the family with CFS who will probaly spend most of Sunday in bed) I'm unable to stop overnite in Dublin but will be camping out in Anglesey on the 9th/10th/11th if any one is interested in a pitch could let me know this will make my search for a campsite easier (if any one who is intending to stay over night in Dublin but wanted to camp on the 9th I can store their tent for collection by the 12th).

No point in bumping for no reason... :)

publicserviceannouncement9eb.jpg

The update is as follows:

We will now be looking to host the event in Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Done Leery) which is where the Stena HSS sails into. Dun Laoghaire is 7 miles south of Dublin City centre with a direct DART (Dublin Commuter Train) link to the city.

This means that we should be able to get cheaper food for everyone (but it's not going to be £5... Dublin is just a little more expensive), it means that instead of 5 hours between sailings in Dublin Port/Dublin City there will be around 11 hours in Ireland for everyone.

It is very important that we receive feedback on interest from interested parties. Although we are aware that this is taking place in September, a simple "hope to attend" message in the forums or on the cache page would be very encouraging to the organisers and also aid with planning.

End of Public Service Announcement :)

We will now be looking to host the event in Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Done Leery) which is where the Stena HSS sails into. Dun Laoghaire is 7 miles south of Dublin City centre with a direct DART (Dublin Commuter Train) link to the city.

Thanks for the effort from those involved in putting this complicated event together. It's a great opportunity to visit a city that I have always wanted to go to. Put me down as a definite, as my flight has been booked for 3 months now!

If the event isn't in Dublin itself, then some detailed information about how to get to it from the city centre (like which Dart train and where to get it) would be very useful.

I am grateful to Klaus for bumping this up as, having been away at the time when the changes to the plans were discussed and changed, I was not aware until now.

I very much regret that it seems I will not be able to come on the trip. If I had I would have wanted to stay overnight in Dublin but now don't think I can make the time.

I must however say a big thank you to Dave and all the others who have worked so hard to set it up and hope that you have a very successful day. :lol: