Which Unit

Depends...

How much do you want to spend and what features do you want in your GPSr?

If you feel you simply have too much money, then buy a new Garmin Quest at Circuit City or BestBuy.

If you think you might have problems making your rent payment this month, then you better buy a used yellow Garmin eTrex on eBay!

Edited by Neo_Geo

This is the place to start searching around to find information!

If you get addicted to geocaching and using your GPS ;) , you will not want a low end unit for very long :laughing: .

We did a lot of reading here :laughing: and ended up with a Garmin MAP 60C, Garmin MapSource City Select North America (Detailed map software and database), a Garmin automount kit, a remote Gilsson antenna, and now a Gilsson protective case.

We use it for geocaching and driving direction assistance. Koikeeper and I really like what we have!

You will find many opinions on this web site .... there is no perfect GPS unit that will satisfy everyone. Every unit has some quirks.

The only common thing is we are all having fun and getting outside and enjoying ourselves.

Koikeepers other caching friend "Ziplip" has a Garmin Etrex legend .... no maps .... but she still finds the caches just as well once we get there.

:yikes: ImpalaBob .... always lurking around!

The other day, I went caching with another Geocacher for the first time. She has the Garmin Map60CS and all the bells and whistles.

I found the cache locations just as well with my Garmin eTrex Vista.

However, if I had the money, I would love to get the whole setup she and ImpalaBob have . . . :laughing:

Get a high-end used GPS. The high-end features will allow you to get the full GPS experience, but it's used you won't take a beating if you decided to sell the unit after using it for a while.

If money is a factor, I'd recommend looking for a used Vista, Legend GPSmap 76 or GPSmap 76S.

In buying high-tech gadgets you can usually save quite a bit by not insisting on the latest advances. So if the price is a concern stay away from the new eXplorist 500/600 or the Garmin 60/76c/cs & Quest models.

The Garmin GPS V and the Magellan Meridian Gold have both gotten significantly cheaper since they were introduced. They both let you get a feel for all the capabilities of advanced models, including auto-routing and detailed street & topo maps, and will be just as accurate as the more expensive new color models.

Definitely do an Ebay search. I was able to pickup a brand new in the original package Garmin GPSMAP 60C for $300, a unit that retails locally for about $450. Look for members with a high rating for the best chance of getting what you paid for.

Edited by bigdog999