Quick Question On The Yellow Etrex

I have (and love) a sweet Magellan Sportrak Map, but recently bought my daughter a little yellow Etrex and...

All seems well, but I can't seem to view the Advanced Skyview Page. The manual says that it's just a matter of "press ENTER when on the Satellite Page, select 'Advanced Skyview' and press ENTER again."

But when I press enter from the Satellite Page, nothing changes - still just the same ol' basic lad with the 4 satts icon. How do I get the page showing the satt locations in the sky along w/ the satt strength bar graphs?

Is there some trick to it?

Well the software v. on this etrex is 2.07 and there's onlyl 2 different Owner's Manuals on the garmin site: one for v. 3.0 and above, and another that says "Rev. C 02/03".

I chose the latter, and that's where it talks about the Advanced Skyview Page. But as per your reply, I also looked at the other manual and - they BOTH show an Advanced Skyview Page.

Well the software v. on this etrex is 2.07 and there's onlyl 2 different Owner's Manuals on the garmin site: one for v. 3.0 and above, and another that says "Rev. C 02/03".

I chose the latter, and that's where it talks about the Advanced Skyview Page. But as per your reply, I also looked at the other manual and - they BOTH show an Advanced Skyview Page.

Click HERE, download, install.

Advanced satellite page will then work.

:laughing:

Just one teeeeeensy problem - no PC cable for the Etrex. Besides, the d/l page instructions warn: "If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative."

Uh, given that neither of the Etrex owner's manual listed on the garmin site seems to match my unit, I'd be a tad leery that likewise the d/l might not be the right one for my unit.

No big deal, guess my dd can live w/o the Advanced Skyview. I just thought maybe it was some easy tweak, some button to push, etc.

Thanks much for trying to help!

That new view was apart of the latest update.

This is not correct. I have had a yellow etrex for over 4 years (now a back-up unit) and the advanced skyview has always been there, even with the original firmware.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the OP's problem, since currently the unit is on the AT with my wife. :laughing:

Just one teeeeeensy problem - no PC cable for the Etrex.

Yep, you'll need the PC data cable to update the software. The Garmin-brand cable is a bit pricey if you order it from their website ($38), but if you shop around you can save a few dollars. (For a quick example, Tweeter sells it for $29.99 through their online store. I'm sure there's also other/better deals floating around out there.) And of course there's always good ol' eBay, where you can find third-party eTrex data cables for around $10+S/H if you're comfortable getting a cable manufactured by a company other than Garmin.

The data cable can be a handy accessory - upload/download waypoints, tracks, etc. A number of mapping packages can help set up intermediate waypoints to send to your GPSr, or take a track log afterwards and display it on the map, so you can see where you wandered on your way to the cache. Some folks find it's a time-saver (bulk-transfer all the waypoints from a PQ to the GPSr before heading out) and/or entertaining ("See, I told you that taking the wrong fork at the start of the trail added 3 miles to the hike!" :laughing: ). Other cachers could honestly care less.

Besides, the d/l page instructions warn: "If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative."

Uh, given that neither of the Etrex owner's manual listed on the garmin site seems to match my unit, I'd be a tad leery that likewise the d/l might not be the right one for my unit.

The d/l page that Tahoe Skier5000 provided looks correct to me, but I can understand your hesitation. There's a page on Garmin's web site where you can contact Tech Support - they'd be able to positively confirm whether this is the appropriate download for your particular GPSr. (There's places on the contact form to fill in your GPSr's model and serial number, so they'll know exactly which GPSr you're holding in your hand.)

This is not correct. I have had a yellow etrex for over 4 years (now a back-up unit) and the advanced skyview has always been there, even with the original firmware.

Actually, if you look at the change history on the update page that Tahoe Skier5000 provided a link to, you'll see that Advanced Skyview wasn't added until software revision 2.10. (And globalgirl's eTrex is currently running rev 2.07.) However, even the latest eTrex revision (2.14) has been out for over three years now, so it's quite possible your 4-year-old eTrex was shipped with revision 2.10 or later. I certainly won't say that's definitely the case, since Garmin's revision history doesn't list the release date for each revision. I suppose if you're curious you could check which rev you have on your eTrex at some point - if it's rev 2.10 or later, then it'd make perfect sense that you have the Advanced Skyview display.

Sometimes several software revisions will get released over a relatively short timeframe, so the specific rev that ends up on your unit depends on what was available when the factory assembled it. (For example, I bought my Foretrex 201 last summer, and there's already been three software updates released since that time. Someone who bought a Foretrex 201 even a few months after I did could very well get a unit that's a revision or two more recent than mine shipped with.)

There are actually two different units that both happen to be yellow, and called simply “eTrex”.  There is the original model, which has been on the market for several years now, and that's what you have.  Yours has firmware version 2.07, and the latest firmware for it is 2.14.

There's a newer version of the yellow eTrex that Garmin has quietly slipped into the market, with some improved hardware features, and firmware revisions starting at 3.0.  This is really an entirely different model, that ought to have been given a different name.  This isn't what you have.

All you need to update the firmware on your eTrex is a cable, and a PC running a fairly current version of Windows.  You can download the latest firmware at the link that someone else gave you (http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=87).

I bet the cable is the sticking point.  You've probably noticed that Garmin charges something like $40 (last time I looked) for a cable.  Got eBay? Go to eBay and do a search on “garmin etrex data cable”, and you'll find plenty selling for much better prices.  That's how I got mine.  I think I paid less than $15 for a combination data/power cable.

Edited by Bob Blaylock
That new view was apart of the latest update.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the OP's problem, since currently the unit is on the AT with my wife. :huh:

When it came out, when I bought mine, it was not available.

From Garmin:

Changes made from version 2.09 to 2.10:

Added an Advanced Skyview mode on the GPS page that displays the location in the sky of each satellite that the unit is tracking. Along with this skyview is the signal strength for each satellite. To get to this new mode, press the ENTER key while on the GPS page and an option menu will appear. This option menu contains two items: SETUP DISPLAY and ADVANCED SKYVIEW. The SETUP DISPLAY option will take you to the Display Setup page for adjusting contrast and light controls. Selecting the ADVANCED SKYVIEW option will switch the GPS page to display the advanced skyview information.

Allow display of speed and track when velocity is below 1.0 MPH and Selective Availability (SA) is off.

Fixed route leg distance calculation that occurred when the unit did not have a fix.

Fixed Dutch grid conversions and added new Dutch map datum to accompany the Dutch grid.

The map datum list on the unit's Setup page is now displayed alphabetically.