Help With The Palm Iiixe

Hello,

I am trying to set up my old IIIxe for geocaching and I am having connection problems when I HotSync. I have a new computer that uses XP, and I downloaded 4.0.1 Palm desktop(the old OS software is 3.5 and is not compatible with XP). The problem is that when I Hotsync, the Palm states that there is a problem with the connection with the computer. I have done just about everything I can think of and I have followed the palm forum suggestions. I was hoping maybe someone out here ran into the same problem. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

You don't say what kind of computer you have, what the cable is (serial or USB) and whether your computer port is properly functioning. Why this is important is that some laptops need to have their serial ports initialized to use them. So, if you help with just a bit more info, we might be better able to help you.

Just for the record, I use a Palm IIIxe with my Dell 3800 laptop running XP Pro SP2. I use GSAK on the laptop with a serial interface to my Garmin and Palm and Cachmate on the Palm. No problem here, so XP does talk to my Palm IIIxe. :laughing:

Now, please tell us more about your system and connections so we can try to diagnose your problem. Thanks :laughing:

Marietta Moose

Thanks Moose. It is a desktop computer(Dell) Dimensions 4800 and I am using the serial port. I attempted to use the original desktop software (3.1) and then (4.0). 3.1 is currently the version that I am attempting to use. I am using the COM1 port. The error message is that the connection between the handheld and computer cannot be established.

Edited by huskytown
Thanks Moose. It is a desktop computer(Dell) Dimensions 4800 and I am using the serial port. I attempted to use the original desktop software (3.1) and then (4.0). 3.1 is currently the version that I am attempting to use. I am using the COM1 port. The error message is that the connection between the handheld and computer cannot be established.

Yes, you have to use the new desktop software for XP. The serial port can be a problem because com1 may be the modem connection to dialup on your computer. Unfortunately, the modem doesn't speak to the Palm. Try changing the com port selected for the Palm in hotsync and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

MM

I d/l and installed the newest software for the desktop and set the Hot Syc mgr for Direct Serial. I also made sure that the handheld is set for direct serial. In the setup menu, I tried COM 3 and COM1.

Nothing happens on the computer screen to indicate a connection and the palm still says no connection between the computer and the palm. Any other ideas(thanks again)?

Check the system tray. Are there any other running applications that squat on the serial connection?

See, my problem is usually the other way around. If you've got the Hotsync Manager running, it won't let you use the port for other things (like plugging in your GPSr and tracking live). So it would stand to reason that other applications that hog that port might knock out Hotsync Manager.

Just a thought. If I had a nickel for every computer I had problems syncing to my Palm, I'd open up an amusement park called Auntie Weasel's Giant Pile of Nickels and charge people, like, a nickel to come look at it.

I had a similar problem. I bought a used palm on ebay and didn't notice that the hotsync cradles that came with it were for a serial connection. Our new computer doesn't have a serial port. Since I just couldn't wait to play with the palm, I hooked it up to the old computer - and ordered a USB hotsync cradle. When I got the USB cradle and hooked it up on the other computer, I had the same problem you are having.

The only difference I could think of between setting up the palm on the two computers was when I attached the serial cable to the computer the computer was off - and I attached the USB cable with the computer on. I was so frustrated with things not working, I gave up and uninstalled all the palm software and started over - this time turning off the computer to connect the hotsync cradle. The first time I pushed the hotsync button it worked like a charm! Good Luck... Shelly

The only difference I could think of between setting up the palm on the two computers was when I attached the serial cable to the computer the computer was off - and I attached the USB cable with the computer on. I was so frustrated with things not working, I gave up and uninstalled all the palm software and started over - this time turning off the computer to connect the hotsync cradle. The first time I pushed the hotsync button it worked like a charm! Good Luck... Shelly

Hi and thanks for the help. One thing before I try this: Did you reinstall the software, reboot and then insert in the serial drive port when it worked(or did the USB hookup work after you rebooted)? Also, which version did you install on the desktop?

Somebody help! I have triad all of the above and I still can't get a connection> I have contacted dell who tested the serial port and it is working, bur I can't tell is an application might be blocking it.Any suggestions?

Has this Palm been hooked up and hotsynced to any PC recently? That is, is there any software on the Palm? You might try doing a full reset, which involves doing a reset with the power button pushed down. Keep in mind this will delete everything on the Palm, including any data or programs that are on it. What it might do is clear anything on the Palm that might have the serial port open. It sounds like the serial connection on the PC isn't even being triggered.

It could be that the serial port is just shot. These things happen. What you can try to do after that is hotsync it to a laptop with an IR port. IR hotsync is slow and ugly, but it can get you out of a jam if you are in one.

Good luck.

-E

Somebody help! I have triad all of the above and I still can't get a connection> I have contacted dell who tested the serial port and it is working, bur I can't tell is an application might be blocking it.Any suggestions?

Has this Palm been hooked up and hotsynced to any PC recently? That is, is there any software on the Palm? You might try doing a full reset, which involves doing a reset with the power button pushed down. Keep in mind this will delete everything on the Palm, including any data or programs that are on it. What it might do is clear anything on the Palm that might have the serial port open. It sounds like the serial connection on the PC isn't even being triggered.

It could be that the serial port is just shot. These things happen. What you can try to do after that is hotsync it to a laptop with an IR port. IR hotsync is slow and ugly, but it can get you out of a jam if you are in one.

Good luck.

-E

This Palm has not been Hotsync'd on my new computer with XP(I have attempted unsuccessfully to do that). Last night I tested the palm on the old computer(with no internet access) so I know that the cradle works. I know that the serial port is not shot because I had Dell test it last night.

As far as software, the Palm is using OS 3.5 and the only thing that is on the Palm is avantgo and the initial software that came with it. Iagree that the serial post on the computer is not being triggered but I just don't know why. Thanks for your input.

I'm looking for a specific answer. I'm trying to determine if the Palm will hotsync to any PC, not just your new PC. In doing this, I'm trying to eliminate the set of things that we can concern ourselves with.

You have successfully hotsynced the Palm to the old computer. In the last few days. Is that correct?

The serial port I was refering to was the port on the Palm, not the PC.

How did Dell remotely test your PCs serial port? This has me intrigued.

I'll go ahead and ask one of the obvious questions. In your hotsync menu, down in the system tray, it "Local Serial" checked?

hotsync_menu.jpg

1)You have successfully hotsynced the Palm to the old computer. In the last few days. Is that correct?

The serial port I was refering to was the port on the Palm, not the PC.

2)How did Dell remotely test your PCs serial port? This has me intrigued.

3)I'll go ahead and ask one of the obvious questions. In your hotsync menu, down in the system tray, it "Local Serial" checked?

hotsync_menu.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to help. I will answer each:

1)yes. I successfully hotsynced on the old computer(win 98), using Palm software for 3.1(that came with it)

2) Dell went through the the accessories section in the start menu to hyperlink and tested COM1 and COM3. I actually did the test again today and the computer said it could not open COM1 and that I should check the port settings(???).They also checked the windows settings to see if they were correct.

3)yes the Hotsync and Palm settings are for direct serial.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

2) Dell went through the the accessories section in the start menu to hyperlink and tested COM1 and COM3. I actually did the test again today and the computer said it could not open COM1 and that I should check the port settings(???).They also checked the windows settings to see if they were correct.

Now we're getting somewhere. The PDA will sync, so it's not a problem with something on the Palm. I'm guessing that something has the COM1 port open.

If you are talking to Dell support, I'm guessing it's a new PC. Generally speaking, COM1 and COM2 are the physical com ports that exist on a newer PC. COM3 is usually for a modem.

So, let's figure out what's got your com ports open. Download and run the program called HijackThis. You can get it at

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Run HijackThis and post the log file here.

Now we're getting somewhere. The PDA will sync, so it's not a problem with something on the Palm. I'm guessing that something has the COM1 port open.

If you are talking to Dell support, I'm guessing it's a new PC. Generally speaking, COM1 and COM2 are the physical com ports that exist on a newer PC. COM3 is usually for a modem.

So, let's figure out what's got your com ports open. Download and run the program called HijackThis. You can get it at

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Run HijackThis and post the log file here.

Thanks again. Hijack This Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 10:07:11 PM, on 5/9/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\Msssrv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe

C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe

C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe

C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmon.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0EIC1.EXE

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0EIC1.EXE

C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe

C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanLT\hppwrsav.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe

C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe

C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe

C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE

C:\Program Files\EasyGPS\EasyGPS.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe

C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://dsl.sbc.yahoo.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost

O2 - BHO: F1 Organizer Class - {00000EF1-0786-4633-87C6-1AA7A44296DA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ATPART~1.DLL

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_1_6_0.dll

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C5183ABC-EB6E-4E05-B8C9-500A16B6CF94} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_1_6_0.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A920] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bSz] C:\documents and settings\lou\local settings\temp\BSz.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vH] C:\windows\temp\vH.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo 820 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0EIC1.EXE /P29 "EPSON Stylus Photo 820 Series" /O6 "USB002" /M "Stylus Photo 820"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jnNZM] C:\documents and settings\lou\local settings\temp\jnNZM.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [z] C:\documents and settings\lou\local settings\temp\z.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dDpyKDP] C:\documents and settings\lou\local settings\temp\dDpyKDP.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo 820 Series (Copy 1)] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S0EIC1.EXE /P38 "EPSON Stylus Photo 820 Series (Copy 1)" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus Photo 820"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DIGStream] C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [updateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hppwrsav] C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanLT\hppwrsav.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WINT] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wcpsvtr.exe

O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE

O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe

O4 - Startup: PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe

O4 - Global Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE

O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE

O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll

O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll

O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {00000EF1-0786-4633-87C6-1AA7A44296DA} (F1 Organizer Class) - http://www.addictivetechnologies.net/DM0/cab/1w2fcksh.cab

O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...81/mcinsctl.cab

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...b?1095300169625

O16 - DPF: {9CCE3B43-4DE0-4236-A84E-108CA848EE6A} (WebCam Control) - http://www.webcamnow.com/broadcast/ActiveXWebCam.cab

O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Secur...loadManager.ocx

O16 - DPF: {BB95299D-B65B-47E0-8DDB-697A66298C3A} (UniVoiceX Control) - http://www.anywebcam.com/awc/html/voice/voice.cab

O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...,19/mcgdmgr.cab

O16 - DPF: {D54160C3-DB7B-4534-9B65-190EE4A9C7F7} (SproutLauncherCtrl Class) - http://real.gamehouse.com/real/games/SproutLauncher.cab

O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://www.webmeeting.att.com/client/webex/ieatgpc.cab

O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

O23 - Service: McAfee AntiSpyware Real-Time Scanner (McAfeeAntiSpyware) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\Msssrv.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe

O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE

O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\YPCSER~1.

Nothing is jumping out to me as obvious. Others may see something that I don't. But, I do have some ideas...

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you don't really have three computers hooked up to the PC. However, you've got processes running for a Lexmark, a Dell, and an Epson. If all of these printers aren't running, I'd remove the software for the ones you don't have using Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.

I'd suggest getting rid of the startup program whose directory includes the word "backweb". It's not the cause of this problem, but it's an unnecessary drain on your PC. It has little real use and does not need to run all the time. I believe you can dismantle this by running msconfig from the Start->Run menu.

The most likely culprit that I can see is the IntelMEM modem program. Is there a control panel for this thing somewhere that you can choose which COM port it is using?

Try this as an experiment: reboot the computer into "safe mode" by pressing the F8 key after bootup starts. When given an option, choose "safe mode". When it finally boots into windows, manually start the hotsync program. See if it works.

Or, reboot your computer. Bring up the task manager using Ctrl-Shift-Esc. Click on the tab marked "Processes". Sort by name. Look at the names in that HijackThis log and stop those processes that aren't part of Windows (nothing in the Windows directory, nothing called SVCHOST, nothing whose User Name is SYSTEM, don't kill hotsync). After you kill each process, try to hotsync. If it suddenly starts working, you have your culprit.