Garmin Etrex Summit

bocody

Does anyone out there have any experience with Garmins eTrex Summit? I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering how they are. The price is in my range and I like the electronic compass feature. Do I understand this correctly, that with the electronic compass you don't have to be moving for the unit to show the direction you need to go? I would find that a big help when I'm in the woods and cant move fast enough. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Does anyone out there have any experience with Garmins eTrex Summit? I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering how they are. The price is in my range and I like the electronic compass feature. Do I understand this correctly, that with the electronic compass you don't have to be moving for the unit to show the direction you need to go? I would find that a big help when I'm in the woods and cant move fast enough. Thanks in advance for your help. 

Bob

Yes the Summit has a Magnetic compass, they all have electronic compasses but not all are magnetic. With a garmin will have to hold the GPS level to get an accurate reading. As far as being in the woods and not being able to move fast enough, I have a couple of Magellans and I have never had to move very fast for the compass to work, I just walk at a normal speen and they work fine.

What kind of price are you getting with the Summit?

Why not just carry a real compass? you can get one for less than $10.00

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Although personally I would prefer a unit that supports internal mapping, the Summit looks like a reasonable choice if you don't see a need for that capability.

Note that Garmin has fairly recently introduced a new hardware version of the Summit with some enhancements including support for WAAS/EGNOS. Check that the unit you get has firmware 3.0 or greater to be sure you're getting the improved hardware.

Summit models with firmware versions 2.xx *cannot* be upgraded to 3.xx since the hardware is different.