having trouble finding catch

n3trk

My GPS receiver shows I am at the correct condinates; but I can not locate the catch it is a gallon jar(figure I got to be able to see that). I know it is there because it was found after I had looked. I have checked to make sure I am using the correct cornidate system. I checked my gps receiver by going to known location and making sure my receiver agrees with the map and it is reasonable close. The rating for the catch is 1 star and 1 star. The cordinates that my gps receiver showed were very thick woods. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong

n3trk

Your GPS will only get you to within 30' or 40'. After that you have to search for the hidden location. Often the cache can be found in hollow legs, under piles of brush or oddly stacked logs (and a thousand other sneaky spaces I haven't come across yet!). Hang in there, it gets easier in time. And welcome to the madness.

quote:
Originally posted by Shoebox:

Your GPS will only get you to within 30' or 40'. After that you have to search for the hidden location. Often the cache can be found in hollow legs, under piles of brush or oddly stacked logs (and a thousand other sneaky spaces I haven't come across yet!). Hang in there, it gets easier in time. And welcome to the madness.

All I know is if we ever find a leg, or God forbid, legs, hollow or not, I'm quitting...Sorry...couldn't resist...

Matt & Julia

I do not know how many finds you have but I remember my first find. It was in thick woods in a park and I found it on my second attempt. When I finally found it I just happened to look down at my feet and I was standing right by it, totally uncovered. That was 300 finds ago and I hope would not happen now. The ones I find not that I am standing on are at least covered. Experience will lead you to hiding places that you can see from far away. Certain things stick out after you have seen enough of them. And there are still some that will kick your butt and humble you back into reality when you start getting the big head. I have easily found caches that took many others weeks to finally locate and I have been the one to search for weeks for a cache that everyone else has found. Try another one or two and then go back to that one, and keep going back till you find it. NEVER SHALL A NO FIND GO UNAVENGED!!!! as long as its still there.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

Start throwing rocks around. When you hear a crash, you've found it...hehe just kidding. I've actually been able to get ot less than 10 feet on some of the caches I've found so far with the GPS. Make sure you have everything (coordinates especially) correct. AS someone state, thick tree cover is going to make things worse and the GPS is going to be off some. Depending on the GPS you have, you can't stand still and it work for you. You have to be moving for it to update. If you have one with a real compass then that is better for you.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

Try this....Get someone to go along next time. Even if they don't have a GPS, the extra set of eyes will help.

I found a couple of caches the other day. Went with a co-worker. Having two GPS's makes it a little easier and provides an easy check of your data entry. (unless you both enter it wrong)