Gps Unit

too many options. each unit has it's pros and cons and it really depends on how much cash you have burning a hole in your pocket, what functions you want it to have and if you'll use it for anything else.

i use a garmin gps map60c. and love it but not the cheapest option by far. used to use geko 201 which did just aswell.

have fun

There is a topic about which GPS pinned at the top of the forum. It started as a discussion about 2 particular models, but the discussions widened and lots of good general advice was given. If you can bear to wade through all the posts I'm pretty sure you'll get all the info you need (and still be as undecided).

Basic points,

1) How much do you want to spend?

2) Make sure you can connect it to the PC - leads are often extra

3) Do you want it for anything else? For geocaching you just need the cheapest units. They are all capable of finding caches.

4) Have you cached before, are you sure you're going to get hooked. You can always buy a low end model first, and sell it to another newbie later and move up the range if you get the urge for other functions.

Also, look at the adopt a newbie thread. If you find some one in your area they will be more than happy to take you out on a trip with their GPS and show you through the functions. That way you can see how a particular model operates in teh field.

garmin gpsmap60cs, because by the time you get hooked and trade your way up you will like me have lost enough money to have had one of them for free.

Seriously, I would recommend at least basic mapping, and at about £136 an etrex legend would be an excellent buy. I have just bought my 12 year old one as a birthday pressie and it rocks. It was my second GPS too and to be honest my current 60CS is not THAT much better.

We use an old Garmin GPS12XL, which has proved itself time and again to be very reliable and very accurate. Apart from that we would remind you that Garmin aftersales service is among the best in the world. Some years ago we borrowed a GPS from a friend and it went wrong. It was several years old and bought in the USA but Garmin UK replaced it with a brand new unit at no cost. Other Garmin users have reported similar service.