New Book Out "hacking Gps"!

murfster

Gee I haven’t done book report since high school… using a typewriter. :ph34r:

The Hacking GPS book is IMHO a good deal. Parts of it are basic and simple but parts are advanced and in great detail. I think it is a good reference book for any keener with a GPS. If you have a group you might one to all buy a share and loan it around. I learned a few neat tricks from screen captures of the GPSr screen (Yes you can!) to more detail on how data works.

As the movie guys say.. I’d give it 8 waypoints! ********

Murfster :anibad:

OK - I read the blurb and it sounds intriguing - but then I saw the bit about check into hacking geocaching. What's a geocache hack that won't get you banned from the site :anibad:

It's not about hacking as in doing somthing bad. :ph34r: It says " These hacks are designed to get you to the cache quicker and let you spend more time geocaching and less time messing around. " Topics are paper free caching, plan before you leave, sort out cables, power for the trip, better antennas, protecting your gps and some gps games. :lol:

Murfster

I have had my copy for about 3 weeks now, I've read through it, the only thing interesting that I have found is the accessing the hidden screens chapter. The making cables section is pretty good. All of the info is available on the net but the book puts it al but all together in one easy to find format. There are some neat ideas about protecting the screen. Is it worth the $40 ? Not really. Like I said all of the info is already available with the use of a good search engine. Watch for this book to hit the clearance rack before you shell out real money for it.

Gee I haven’t done book report since high school… using a typewriter. :D

The Hacking GPS book is IMHO a good deal. Parts of it are basic and simple but parts are advanced and in great detail. I think it is a good reference book for any keener with a GPS. If you have a group you might one to all buy a share and loan it around. I learned a few neat tricks from screen captures of the GPSr screen (Yes you can!) to more detail on how data works.

As the movie guys say.. I’d give it 8 waypoints! ********

Murfster :lol:

What's a typewriter!!! :ph34r:

Is it worth the $40 ? Not really.

Like I said all of the info is already available with the use of a good search engine. Watch for this book to hit the clearance rack before you shell out real money for it.

I agree that you can find a lot on the net.. the trouble I have is "I don't know what it is I don't know". There were some things in there I didn't know about. Guess it depends on your level. I guess too I'm old and like paper books.. :rolleyes:

The book only cost me $24 as a member with free shipping. :D

Murfster