Palm + Mapopolis + Maplet = ???

racher

Ok, I know this shouldn't be that hard.

I have a:

• Palm m500, PalmOS 4.0, 128 MB SD Card.

• Mapopolis 5.2.1, Map of my local counties (demos)

• Cachemate (latest as of last weekend)

• GPXtoMaplet

I've got the file loaded in cachemate just fine, but can not get the Palm to accept the MLP (maplet) file.

It claims no app is associated with it when I try to hotsync it. Does Mapopolis 5.2.1 not support it?

What map app with detailed back country roads are there for a Palm OS 4 device, that supports some sort of waypoint? Or what am I doing wrong with my current gear.

Thanks for you help everyone,

Eric

Eric,

I believe that GPXtoMaplet is a PocketPC program, not a Palm OS program, so it won't work with your Palm m500. That's probably why you're getting that error message with the MLP file - it's a PocketPC format.

I recently augmented my electronic arsenal to include Mapopolis and a GPSR to hook up to my Palm Tungsten C and have also been looking for an easy way to transfer Waypoints from my computer into Mapopolis. The search continues....

Colleen

i think we have a bunch of correct answers here but perhaps this might help everyone out.

For Racher: cjf is correct that gpx to maplet is a pocket pc program. it will not convert gpx files to a format that will be usefull to you. Nightpilot is also correct that you need to use gpsbabel to do some conversion for you, but, you also need a program called mapconvert or mapconverter. basically what this program does is converts waypoint to one map which is great becuase when you want to change waypoint sets, you just turn off or delete the map. The catch is that this maplet only works with the ENHANCED or PLATINUM MAPS, I dont remember which one it is. if you do a search on mapopolis, i have answered this question at least a dozen times in the past. There are also a ton of threads about how to do this. Quick explination, take the gpx file and use gpsbabel to convert it to the mapopolis file, then run it through mapconverter then put it onto the palm. if you need mapconverter, send me an email i can send it to you, mapopolis no longer supports it. if you aren't using enhanced or platinum maps i dont know what to tell you.

For CJF: if you are running a tungsten C with gps, like i do, the only real way I have found to get waypoints into mapopolis is by using cachemate to convert pocket querry to mapopolis waypoints. It works well, but the whole mapopolis system for this is a PITA. It works by creating an addressbook entry on the palm. this is mapopolis' method of implementation and it s**ks. becuase if you transfer 200 waypoints to mapopolis waypoints, you then, eventually have to delete 200 waypoints from your palm desktop. In another recent thread, there was a discussion about the best way to delete these points. my suggestion was (and what i do is) sync palm so the waypoints are in my outlook address book. its 100 times easier to delete waypoints en mass from outlook by just holding down function d then to tap through it on the palm.

If you have any other questions or need more detailed explinations, let me know and i will try and get it done. i was working on this tutorial for Cybret's geocaching univ, i guess i should finish it.

Edited by dboggny

After intially replying to Rancher I got curious about the whole Mapopolis-Waypoint issue earlier in the week. I did some more research and found the Cachemate solution and was able to load all my waypoints into Mapopolis (the same method discussed by dboggny and maingray). Then I saw the posts about how cumbersome it was to eliminate all the waypoints that show up as contacts in Outlook (or Palm Desktop). Fortunately, I did set up all the waypoints in their very own category: Geocaching. So at least I'll be able to view (or not view) the waypoints in Outlook as necessary by using the filtering on the Geocaching category. I'll worry about deleteing the new "contacts" some other time! :huh:

cjf

First of all:

dboggny - Thank you for your very thourough answers. I had come across the 'MapConverter' app, I may have to use that. I thought GPXtoMaplet eliminated that step. I will send you a PM to get that app.

Maingray - From what I read elsewhere on the forumn, this only works with Palms with OS v. 5 or higher, not the older palms. If anyone has Mapopolis, and Palm with OS 4, let me know if that works. Maybe it just doesn't work with their demo maps.

cjf - Since you're using a Tungsten C Palm, that supports the mapopolis cachemate plug in. I don't believer Palms with v. 4 of the OS do.

Thanks everyone for your help. I might just have to buy a mappack and try it out.

If it doesn't work, does anyone want to buy a Palm m500, with Cradle, Charger, (3) Stylus, Case for $30 shipped.

-Eric