Gpx Files From Cache Listing?

sTeamTraen

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but the forum won't let me search for "GPX", so I wouldn't know. :o

Is there a reason why I can't look for nearby caches, check 10 that interest me, and then download them as a .GPX file (instead of a .LOC) ? This is as a Premium Member, of course. Or am I missing something of the "RTFM" variety ?

Thanks

Nick

I've wondered the same. But no, even as a Premium member, GPX files are only available singly from the individual cache pages, or via PQs. All you can get are LOCs from the Download button on the listings pages. I gather that this is because GPX files are significantly more expensive to generate in terms of processor time and memory usage.

I gather that this is because GPX files are significantly more expensive to generate in terms of processor time and memory usage.

Yes, but since it's limited by how fast one can check boxes on forms which display the caches 20 at a time, I doubt if the server will be overloaded before I've become bored.

This would be a useful feature for my forthcoming vacation trip. In the end I submitted a PQ for all the caches within X km of my destination and eliminated the ones I didn't want afterwards.

Yes, there's a reason, one which has been stated each time this subject is raised. It is one of database load. Pocket queries are scheduled to run on a managed basis, often at off-hours. This is because GPX files are big -- they contain all the information in the cache description, plus the past five logs. If people started downloading 20-cache chunks of GPX data right and left, the database hamsters would quit running in their wheels.

Yes, there's a reason, one which has been stated each time this subject is raised. It is one of database load. Pocket queries are scheduled to run on a managed basis, often at off-hours. This is because GPX files are big -- they contain all the information in the cache description, plus the past five logs. If people started downloading 20-cache chunks of GPX data right and left, the database hamsters would quit running in their wheels.

How about the best of both worlds...

Let me check which caches to download but send them when the rest of the PC'S are generated!?!?!?

Yes, there's a reason, one which has been stated each time this subject is raised.  It is one of database load.  Pocket queries are scheduled to run on a managed basis, often at off-hours.  This is because GPX files are big -- they contain all the information in the cache description, plus the past five logs.  If people started downloading 20-cache chunks of GPX data right and left, the database hamsters would quit running in their wheels.

How about the best of both worlds...

Let me check which caches to download but send them when the rest of the PC'S are generated!?!?!?

You'll be able to do that by using a Bookmark list.

That sounded great, so I set off to build a bookmark list of the caches in question (I hadn't used that feature yet... the ability to type in GCxxxx waypoints and have the caches added automatically is great!).

But now all I can find is to download the listed caches as .LOC (sigh). I can't find a PQ option to "send me all the caches in bookmark list X". What am I missing ?

Thanks

Nick

Perhaps we might see it at the same time as getting a special GPX of all caches we've found? They're both in the category of "special queries."

I already built that by hand. Check "That: I have found" and then in "Within: States/Provinces", select every item.

I can wait for the bookmark-to-PQ link - I just wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed something.

No, I'm waiting for the PQ that delivers all 1,300+ of my finds in one GPX file, including caches that are now archived.

:: drool ::

PQ's of bookmarked caches will be great, too. It will make bookmark lists an even more useful planning tool for group hunts. Presumably, if three premium members want to go on a group hunt, one guy can plan the route, make a shared bookmark list, and all three cachers can download their own GPX file without violating the TOU. (Right?)

That sounded great, so I set off to build a bookmark list of the caches in question (I hadn't used that feature yet... the ability to type in GCxxxx waypoints and have the caches added automatically is great!).

But now all I can find is to download the listed caches as .LOC (sigh). I can't find a PQ option to "send me all the caches in bookmark list X". What am I missing ?

What you're missing is the use of the future tense in my message. This hasn't been set up yet, but will be.