Wanted: Used Etrex Yellow (or Any Model)

blang

Hey all - wondering if anyone has a used eTrex Yellow or any other model eTrex for sale or trade that might be a little on the worse-for-wear or just plain scuffed / scratched up or even damaged. I've got a little project I'm working on where I'll be tearing it down and using the guts anyway. Since this is a self-funded project, obviously I would like to keep the price down, as I may have to get two or three of the units to make this work. Price negotiable based on condition. TIA

Sure. I was sitting in my new SUV the other day, tinkering with my GPSr, trying to find a good spot to mount it and get the best reception. I noticed that the overhead console has this pop-out panel that has a ton of room right up near the windshield, where the mirror mounts. So I got the idea of permanently mounting a GPSr up in that space, possibly even supplying power from the vehicle. So I figured if I found an old beat-up eTrex I could tear it down and work on fitting it into the space. We'll see what happens. <_<

You'll need a way to add an external antenna. An eTrex's patch antenna is strongest at picking up sats overhead. If its under the roof, you will not get reception - or it will be very poor. The reason the mounts go on the dashboard is so the unit can get a view of the sky.

Well, that's one consideration, or wire the patch antenna to a location that it will be effective. The location is right next to the windshield, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Thanks though - any ideas anyone has, please pass them on.