Gilsson External Antenna

We gotta tell somebody...My new Gilsson external ant for my Gpsmap 60 arrived today. What a difference in signal strength while riding in the Jeep. don't get me wrong, the signal is darn good without it, but hey, we're gadget people. Accuracy stayed at +- 7ft and 10 sats were pinned while driving up and down and all around!.....gpsgeek.com

I bought two Gilsson external antennas because they are incredible. I have a 60CS and an iQue, and the difference is amazing. I'm very impressed with the quality and the price (bought mine on eBay).

When I bought my second antenna Gilsson told me that they're developing a new antenna that will have 30 dB gain.

I usually just run the antenna cable along the side of the door as well, and it gives plenty of clearance without interfering with the signal.

I am very happy with the Gilsson antenna. I always hook it up when I use my 60CS in the car, and I also find it useful in the field from time to time (forests etc.). Just be aware that this is an active, amplifying antenna that draws energy from the GPS. This does not matter when the GPS gets power from the car's cigarette lighter, but may be worth noting when used hand held. Gilsson states that power consumption is around 12 mA. My uneducated guess is that this will shorten battery life with up to 10 pct - depending on battery type and other factors. I'd be happy if someone can offer more precise calculations.

Edited by 240GL

We bought ours through Amazon.com for $22 plus shipping. We found that it made little difference between the roof and just sitting it up under the windshield. Get the autokit for a nice mount and the 12 volt supply cable. Screen stays in backlit mode and no drain on the batteries. Coupled with MapSource City Select 6.5 this unit is incredible. We get driving directions to the cache sites and then switch to "off road" and walk to the cache. Make sure you get the 3.80 latest firmware for the 60C off the Garmin website.

If you want MapSource N/A City Select 6.1 and the autokit .... provantage.com has a great price. Update to latest 6.5 MapSource is available from Garmin for free.

We are going to make a hat mount for the Gilsson antenna in the near future.

ImpalaBob