First Day Of Class

fly46

As a teacher, when I do the class intro thing and ask people to tell their hobbies, none have ever said caching. But I always say it. I have had a few students express interest, although none ever followed up that I know of. We have some staff members though that are interested to the point where they might go caching.

That's cool. I said caching, the prof went into this thing about finding a cache that dealt with 1920s Hollywood, I expanded upon it a tiny bit, told him there was one at the campus, he was very interested and then explained it a bit to the class. . It was very cool that I said caching and it was followed by someone else explaining it for me.

Now if I could only convert him full time. :o

If the reverse happened and one of my students did that I would likely faint! Well, no, but I would be excited. Normally when I mention caching they stare at me blankly with a look that says "what kind of weirdo did we get for a teacher?" :o

man you sound like a awesome teacher...What do you teach and where????????? I need to go back to school because I have taken way too much time off...Ahhhhh...I still need my AA in something..................AHHHHHH! I hate being lazy.......SCHOOL NOW PAT SCHOOL NOW!! LOL sorry, I am hyping myself here!!

Delay

I talk with my students about caching, and am going to be working with my 6th graders this spring (I know, I know, but we got snow again yesterday...) geocaching as an intramural sport (my school's athletic department just bought 10 yellow etrex units). Some of the people I work with are strating to become interested in going out with me to try it out.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

In work in an industrial training area and have to take classes myself occasionally. In some of the classes we have to prepare a short presentation to practice some training concept. I often use geocaching in the presentations. It always gets some nice responses.

In the classes where I am the trainer I have the freedom to talk about hobbies and it frequently comes up. No converts yet but always enjoyable to talk about caching.

I have mentioned it with some of my students. One has actually begun caching under his own name. Another staff member became interested via this student and took his Adventure Studies class caching when they were on a hike in southern Illinois. If I can entice the whole school to get involved (just over 3200 students total), think about how many hides there could be in my local area!

man you sound like a awesome teacher...What do you teach and where?????????

I teach legal research and writing at the University of Nebraska College of Law. It is my second job to earn some extra money.

I have thought about setting up a writing problem with geocaching in the facts. I might do that next year. :(

my school's athletic department just bought 10 yellow etrex units

I have just recieved 10 yellows too and I will be caching as part of my Outdoor Ed class wil grade 7-9's. There are several staff members here who cache as well. Keep promoting it!

You're school district must be rich. We are lucky to get new 4-Square balls. I'm not complaining, just jealous. I actually started a couple of TBs for some 5th grade classes and they loved it. I would love to see GPSr in the hands of students.

I have thought about setting up a writing problem with geocaching in the facts. I might do that next year.  :laughing:

I say send them into the deep recesses of the Northwestern Digest to get the coordinates. Do law students know that there are still books out there?

We make our first year students use the books first semester. They don't get to use the computer until the next semester.

Anyway, I was figuring I could set up a problem with a geocaching injury on someone's private land and create an issue with the Recreational Liability Act. That could be fun.

If the reverse happened and one of my students did that I would likely faint! Well, no, but I would be excited. Normally when I mention caching they stare at me blankly with a look that says "what kind of weirdo did we get for a teacher?

In my school we have a geocaching club that was started by to geocaching teachers

:laughing:

Edited by jtd18801