Almost Successful...

Keith_J

I just bought a Garmin 60C along with the topo software, primarily for cycling. I found this site and geocaching so decided to do the melding of the two.

I downloaded 19 closest caches and went out on the mountain bike. I had a previous track so a few yards into the trek, decided to erase it but managed to dump all 19 caches :lol: I decided to go ahead and did a 33 mile ride, about half off road.

When I got back, I downloaded the track and much to my surprise, I was within the CEP of 5 of the 19 caches! Mind you, I did NOT preview the locations, only selecting caches based on distance. I have the bloodhound nose.

I though about mounting the lights and going out after supper but 33 miles with 1100 feet of climb wore me out. My cycling computer calculates energy expended based on my heart rate, speed and time. 2791 kcal was my recorded output, about what a normal adult consumes daily :lol: . I did stop for snacks and sports drink.

BTW, since my cycling computer has barometric altitude, I figured the 60C would be adequate. I have a good Brunton compass in addition.

There is always tomorrow!

In most cases, the people who planted those caches want to be able to reach them easily for maintainance. That "bloodhound nose" may just be common sense caching. Without anything, no gps at all, you may pass close to caches every day.

I downloaded 19 closest caches and went out on the mountain bike. I had a previous track so a few yards into the trek, decided to erase it but managed to dump all 19 caches sad.gif I decided to go ahead and did a 33 mile ride, about half off road.

I only have a Vista, but I don't understand how this could happen. However, I never use the page you're using hardly at all. I use the compass - have you tried using the "goto" feature?

get it, April fools right. lol

There's no way you road 33 mile, lol.....

or did you? 

I had to laugh at that statement/question. I take it you're not a cyclist.

Milbank -

I work with people who ride 30 to 40 miles TO WORK!!!

And a Sat. warm up ride aproaches 100 miles. The Pres. of my company (who is 60) goes to Oregon every Fall to ride for a full week - about 500 miles. And they have the Death Ride out here in the mountains - google it - it is a ride over 5 mountain passes in the Sierra Nevada mountaings - up and down over these passes for thousands of feed of elevatoin gain. It is a one day fast as you can do it type of ride. It is called Death Ride for good reason.

No I don't ride but this poster said it right - you are obviously not a bike rider.

I wish I was able to ride - caching would be awesome on a bike.

cc\

edit -

http://www.deathride.com/

http://www.deathride.com/course/

check the times and elevation gains

http://www.deathride.com/course/map.php

scroll down and look at the elevation graph

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

Yes, 33 miles. Last week I did 52 miles by myself on the road bike. 3000 feet of climb, 60 MPH max speed (and I don't want to say the minimum but lets say it was a CRAWL up a 12% grade).

My daily maximum distance on the road is 134 miles.

I figured out my GPS via experience. One set of batteries, some quiet time and hard knocks.

Oh yes, in these times of rising energy prices, my bicycles are getting a lot of use. I have commuted to work, even when living 25 miles from work. Surprisingly, it only took ~15 minutes more than driving.

Edited by Keith_J

I gave up road biking a few years back after my 2nd run in with a car. I figure third times road kill. My favorite trip was in England back in 1985. John O Groates to Lands end, which was almost 1,100 miles via the route we took. We did it in 8 days total, only 7 of which we were riding, and one in which we sulked about how wet and tired we were while we debated giving up.

I still love mountain biking though, and living in Utah, there are some spectacular trails I get to ride. I'm not sure how much safer it really is over road biking though. My max mileage for carrying the bike after a crash is 16 miles after trashing my front fork on an oops.... My slowest speeds would be negative when I've tackled grades too steep, and started rolling back before I had time to dismount. (Getting older leaves it much easier for the mind to believe you can climb hills the body just can't do)

Second time is the charm. Found the first one easy enough but the approach had a particular hazard with a bamboo-like growth called Georgia cane. The cane from last year had fallen over, making for a very slippery srface for the tires and my right knee hit the handle bars hard enough to draw blood. The pain was a bit much but the goal of finding my first cache made it bearable...until I saw the blood running ~7" down my leg...

Like in football where coach told us to walk it off, a few minutes later I went to the second cache. Then the third..

A few of the caches had been raided and one had been washed away in a recent flood. On my second to last find, the owner had really gone above and beyond the call. Not only was it in a good ammo can (7.62 NATO), it had plenty of loot like rings, toys etc. I am hooked!

Now I really need the handlebar mount for my 60C!

BTW, only 24 miles and 8 caches.

Wow, them are some long bike rides.

I have been taken my gps with me on some bike rides with the kid just to see how far we go for the fun of it.

3-4 miles is preaty good ride for us. Last year one hot summer day we did 6 miles around the outter edge of town and it about killed me, lol

3-4 miles on bike or foot seems to be about my limit.

I really should get out more....

Edited by Milbank
Now I really need the handlebar mount for my 60C!

BTW, only 24 miles and 8 caches.

RAM mount, for all your mounting needs.

http://www.rammount.com/ramgps.htm

Wulf

Cool mount! I am worried about crashing and damaging the unit...my last major spill was on the road bike which was the final blow to my shifters. Since Shimano no longer makes 9 speed Dura Ace, I was forced into the new 10 speed (actually 20 speed but cyclists talk about the speeds on the rear cluster) which cost me about $1300...

This mount appears to be capable of mounting to the top tube of the frame where it will be better protected from damage. Plus on my road bike, there is no room left. I have a special computer which measures everything but horizontal position. Yes, it has barometric altitude, cadence and power (measured by chain tension via harmonics and chain speed). I barely have enough space for my light.