Slightly overwelmed!!!

Rawhide Kids

Well got my GPS today in the mail and having a hard time to figure out how to download cashe locations. My magellan book is the worst in trying to explain to a newbee... Where Do I start? I read the FAQ section and getting started, but there doesnt seem to be a getting started for the just started.... The family that got us interested in cashing is out of town for about 2 weeks so we have no help to get us up and running. Is there somewhere else to start to learn. Frustrated and wanting to get out of the house. icon_confused.gif

for the quickest path to a cache. find a cache you want to find on the website. print out that page. enter the lat and long manually into your maggie (usually mark button once, then manually change the address then save)then hit the goto button, and point to the waypoint you just created. then go hunting!

get a quickie under your belt, you can figure out easy gps and cables, and computers tonight!

Maybe I can get you started.

As mentioned, pick a cache and print out the page. Use the MENU button to find the SETUP section and make sure that the coordinate system is set to 'DD MM.MMM'.

Entering coordinates --

If it is an old Magellan start by pressing the MARK button.

If it is a new Magellan press and hold the GOTO button.

Either way a waypoint screen will come up. Use the arrow keys and ENTER to highlight and change the portion of that screen that you want to change. For example, move (with the arrow keys) to the Latitude/Longitude area and press ENTER. Then use the up/down/left/right keys to modify the numbers to match the cache page. Once you've got it to match (don't worry about Elevation), move to the SAVE area and press ENTER. Now you've saved that waypoint. (You can also change the name for the waypoint. Rather than WPT001 you could make it something that makes more sense to you.)

Once it's saved, press the GOTO button, select USER, and select the waypoint you just saved. This will direct you to the cache.

You have several screens that will guide you, but start by using the Compass Screen. The arrow will point toward the cache and the Distance will tell you how far.

Hope this helps get you started.

geospotter

To download the waypoints first get the list of lets say the closest 25 to your location. At the bottom of the page click on “Check All” then click on “Download to Easy GPS for Grounsspeak”. Save the file to the desktop or where ever you like. Now if you haven’t done so already download “Easy GPS” here (It’s free) and open the waypoint file with Easy GPS. You should have your GPS connected to your computer. Set the baud rate for both the GPS and Easy GPS to 19200 or whatever the fastest rate both will accept. Just click on “SEND” in Easy GPS and all 25 waypoints will be sent to your GPS. Print out a few pages and go have a blast.

for a good Magellan help forum, goto and join

user group

Also, I downloaded a Manual in PDF file from Magellan website and printed it out. The book that came with my unit was only to get started. The CD manual would not print out very well. I had to upgrade my Adobe acrobat reader to version 5.# also.

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service