I am sooo lost

REA

I just purchased a Garmin Legend. Trying to understand manual. I am really looking forward to getting into this Geocashing.

I just read a post that stated to enter the correct datum (wgs18).....what is that? There are some easy Caches close by and am eager to hunt. I'm sure you all get tired of the new guys on the block, but would appreciate any and all the help you can give.

Thanks

WGS84 is a map datum. There are dozens of them preloaded in your Legend. Without getting into what a datum / map projection / coodinate system is, just make sure the following are the settings you have in your Legend.

Go to the "Main Menu".

Select "Setup"

Select "Units"

Select "Position Format". Make sure it is set to hddd mm.mmm

Select "Map Datum". Make sure it is set to WGS 84

That's it. We are all now speaking the same babblegab from this point on.

Welcome to the addiction.

12077_700.gif

...my Legend was preset to WGS 84 from the factory, so hopefully you shouldn't have to set anything. But...

With your unit on, hit the Page button (top one on the right) until you get to the Main Menu (the screen with all the icons.)

Use the ClickStick to select Setup and on the next screen, select Units.

The second option down is Map Datum. Click on this, and from the pop-up menu, find WGS 84. Select it, and you're all set!

icon_wigogeocaching.gifchezpic.gif