Magellan Meridian Color

Manoroth

Got one for my wife for Christmas. I guess it just depends on what you want to spend. The colour is very cool and helpful with the street maps while driving, but of course don't get you any closer to the caches. She got it because she wanted it, but if I was buying a Meridian for myself I would probably just go with the Gold for the best bang for the buck.

I have the Magellan Meridian...I guess basic...it is orange in color. I have enjoyed it and would buy another Magellan again. I had one problem with losing power from the batteries but I had removed them wrong and bent the lead. They also seem to have a problem with the backlight. There is a post in the GPS Forum dealing with that.

Absolutely, positively love mine. The screen seems to be a bit larger than most I've seen and is quite bright and clear. It also seems to be very accurate: I've had it direct me to within two feet of several caches, and it was correct!

I got mine for Christmas with the whole shooting match of accessories: car mount, MapSend street mapper and all.

Make sure you have a free RS-232 (serial) port on your 'pooter, because that's the only way you can up/download info. My new desktop only had one, and I needed that for something else so I had to order a cheap plug-in board with extra ports to run the GPS. No biggie.

The expense only hurts once, and nobody ever regretted owning the best.

Make sure you have a free RS-232 (serial) port on your 'pooter, because that's the only way you can up/download info. My new desktop only had one, and I needed that for something else so I had to order a cheap plug-in board with extra ports to run the GPS. No biggie.

The expense only hurts once, and nobody ever regretted owning the best.

If you use an SD memory card, and a card reader that hooks up to an unused USB port, you can skip the serial port. The only use for my serial port is for downloading cachmate PDB files into my Palm PDA.

I use a Meridian Gold, and think it works great. I just regret not getting Mapasend TOPO in the US and a SD card sooner.

I don't know anything about the GPSr that you want, but this looks like a good deal. Costo's online site has a sale on a Magellan Meridian Color package that starts on 3/28. If my link does not work, you can still go to their website and track down the item. I looked at other online stores and this looked like a Great Deal. If you are not a Costo member, just find a friend that is. Good luck.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup....opnav=&cat=&s=1

As well as any handheld unit. You can buy autorouting software for it. The buttons are easier to manipulate while you're driving than the ones on say an etrex. I think the street names a little easier to read on an etrex, but that's if you have good eyes because the screen is smaller. I just tend to say "okay, turn right 3 streets down" and scroll the cursor if I really need to see a street name.

I suggest you look at the color unit in real life and daylight before you buy one. A friend loaned me his Meridian Color for a while and I ended up buying a Platinum instead. The Color's TFT display is difficult to read in direct sunlight and has to be held "just right" for you to see it. In subdued light or dark with the TFT backlight it looks beautiful, but direct sunlight just plain sucks IMO.

I like the solid 4 color greyscale display much better. Crystal clear in sunlight and the back light for night and subdued lighting is very good. Unless you need the 3 axis compass, I suggest you take a hard look at the Meridian Gold model. Basically it's the same as a Color with the greyscale display.

Bottom line is try to look at both before you decide and spend money....