Another "stupid" question...

Team MJDJ

The manufacturer's instruction to hold your GPSr in a particular way (my yellow eTrex says hold it with the screen up) tells you the best orientation for the antenna. As long as you're getting sufficient signal, it doesn't matter how you're carrying it.

If you find yourself in deep tree cover getting bad reception, try holding it upright.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

The best way to see if it works or not would be to turn the GPSr on and view the screen that shows the satellites and intensity of the signals from each of them. Hold the GPSr vertically until you have a good lock on a number of sats, then lie the GPSr flat or turn it over and watch what happens to the signals. The itensity of the signal will usually degrade. This happens on my Magellan Meridian Gold.

Generally, the GPSr will work when held in any direction, but it will work best when it's held vertically and the anteanna has an unobstructed view of the satellites.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

quote:
Originally posted by Team MJDJ:

I own a Garmin eTrex Venture. The manual says to hold it upright when in use.

It does? Where? I've looked through both my Vista manual, and the on-line Venture pdf manual, and can't find anything remotely like that.

The patch antenna is behind the globe emblem on the face of the unit. While it will certainly work in the upright position, holding it horizontally will give the best reception.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kewaneh & Shark:

Hold the GPSr vertically until you have a good lock on a number of sats, then lie the GPSr flat or turn it over and watch what happens to the signals. The itensity of the signal will usually degrade. This happens on my Magellan Meridian Gold.

Apples and Oranges. The Meridian and the eTrex line use completely different types of antennas.

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

Quadrifilar helix antennas (GPS II/III/V, Rino)will perform well in almost any position.

My experience with my Meridian and its quad helix antenna disputes this. When I owned an eTrex and mounted it horizontally on my bicycle, I got fantastic reception, but when I used the GPS in my car mounted vertically, the reception was noticably worse.

My Meridian is just the opposite. When it is on my bicycle in a horizontal position, the reception is terrible. Just taking it out of the cradle and holding it upright gives me a couple extra satellites and a stronger signal from each. Fortunately the vehicle mount for the Meridian holds it upright, so my reception is good in the car.

Jamie

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I own a Garmin eTrex Venture. The manual says to hold it upright when in use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It does? Where? I've looked through both my Vista manual, and the on-line Venture pdf manual, and can't find anything remotely like that.

The patch antenna is behind the globe emblem on the face of the unit. While it will certainly work in the upright position, holding it horizontally will give the best reception.

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture (personal navigator). Page 3 of the Owner's manual and reference guide states: "Hold the unit at a comfortable height with the antenna pointing up...."

I was searching for one Geocache over the weekend and I was basically going around in circles - holding the unit out FLAT...this is why I was curious whether it made a difference, I think I just answered my own question!

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

quote:

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture (personal navigator). Page 3 of the Owner's manual and reference guide states: "Hold the unit at a comfortable height with the antenna pointing up...."

I was searching for one Geocache over the weekend and I was basically going around in circles - holding the unit out FLAT...this is why I was curious whether it made a difference, I think I just answered my own question!

Hmmm... I just searched the latest version of the Venture manual (online at Garmin) and don't see that statement anywhere. Regardless, with a patch antenna, to point it "up", you have to hold the unit horizontally, not vertically.

You might want to check out this thread, this thread, this thread, this thread, and this page.

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on February 18, 2003 at 07:26 PM.]

...for expedient and accurate answers! Judging from what I've read, I would say that my little eTrex Venture will work best on a slightly-off-horizontal plane.

It would seem as though the "antenna" being "up" (as they refer to it) would mean the largest surface area of the integrated antenna should face UPwards...makes sense!

Thank you All! icon_wink.gif