So...how do you suggest I start?

halldorr

I am very very eager to get out this weekend, I ordered my GPS and it should be here tomorrow. I have the weekend off like normal but also have Monday off so am wanting to dive right in...

I have found a couple of caches in the area, around an hour radius from my home. Any starter tips? Suggestions on how to start, how many to look for in a day etc?

Hello Halldorr, First, make sure your unit is set for the correct datum (wgs84). Second, always mark your car location when you exit it to find the cache. Third check yourself for ticks after the cache, head to toe. Fourth, bring extra batteries, water, a cell phone, and let someone know where you are going. Last, have fun. These are just some of the basics but I think they might help a beginner. P.S: What unit did you finally end up buying? Just curious.

[This message was edited by Ranger Rick on April 19, 2002 at 01:14 PM.]

I'll have to check the manual on setting it to WGS18 (still learning), but I should be receiving it before noon at work tomorrow so will have a peek at the unit and all while there icon_smile.gif

Check for ticks? Wow, really?

I ended up buying the Garmin eTrex Vista with some MetroGuide for Canada, a couple of travel bugs, and a couple of Geocache stickers icon_smile.gif I am really eager to place a cache or two icon_smile.gif

Growing up in some very rural areas, I found many many very neat places to place one icon_smile.gif

I'll have to check the manual on setting it to WGS18 (still learning), but I should be receiving it before noon at work tomorrow so will have a peek at the unit and all while there icon_smile.gif

Check for ticks? Wow, really?

I ended up buying the Garmin eTrex Vista with some MetroGuide for Canada, a couple of travel bugs, and a couple of Geocache stickers icon_smile.gif I am really eager to place a cache or two icon_smile.gif

Growing up in some very rural areas, I found many many very neat places to place one icon_smile.gif

Checking for ticks is a must!!!

In 3 weeks we have found 2 ticks on my wife. I now know more about ticks than I should.

Other than that have fun and if you have a camara take pictures. I have a cheap digital and have a photo record of every (except one where my batteries were dead) cache I have found. It's great to look back.

Another one joins the cult!!! icon_biggrin.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

39478_400.jpg

Checking for ticks is a must!!!

In 3 weeks we have found 2 ticks on my wife. I now know more about ticks than I should.

Other than that have fun and if you have a camara take pictures. I have a cheap digital and have a photo record of every (except one where my batteries were dead) cache I have found. It's great to look back.

Another one joins the cult!!! icon_biggrin.gif

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

39478_400.jpg

Man I'm glad I don't live in an area with ticks...I don't even know what a tick looks like. About the only thing I have ever been bitten by is mosquito's and those are enough of a problem in the spring summer and early fall.

Go shopping for some "puts" get a variety of small things, from playing cards, to little camping supplies like compass', whistles, to small childrens toys like silly putty, small dolls, bubbles, and such.

I almost always leave the cache better than I found it.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Appreciate the input, went out right after work today to buy a container and some things for inside the cache.

I think I got a nice assortment, some things are useful and with the urging of my 6 year old son, I am sorry but you will find one of those little mcDs toys in there icon_wink.gif

Hey, if it makes him happy, it makes me happy icon_smile.gif

Appreciate the input, went out right after work today to buy a container and some things for inside the cache.

I think I got a nice assortment, some things are useful and with the urging of my 6 year old son, I am sorry but you will find one of those little mcDs toys in there icon_wink.gif

Hey, if it makes him happy, it makes me happy icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

Man I'm glad I don't live in an area with ticks...I don't even know what a tick looks like.

OSHA's map... I think Salem is in pink.

3419_6800.jpg

Learn what a tick looks like and how to remove it. The more time you spend caching, the more likely you would be to get one.

==========

As for my suggestion: a lot of people beat this to death, but I think it's sound advice to find a number of caches prior to placing. It helps you learn from others' mistakes and triumphs.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I like that the web site has pic's of the ticks, I've never seen one before. Now I know what to look for, though I've gone 32 years in this area without seeing one or being bitten, so hopefully I'll go at least another 32 years icon_smile.gif

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I like that the web site has pic's of the ticks, I've never seen one before. Now I know what to look for, though I've gone 32 years in this area without seeing one or being bitten, so hopefully I'll go at least another 32 years icon_smile.gif

Thanks Markwell for that map. I knew the northeast was bad, and I posted my experience and adivce in another topic, but your map looks like the black plague!

My research has found that Westchester county just above NYC where I live has the worst in the country where more than 1/3 of the Deer ticks are Lyme infected. Looking at the map, all of NJ, COnn, southern NYS, RI, big parts of Mass, eeks, it's really scary.

Of course in other areas you have to put up with snakes, scorpions, alligators and rangers.

Alan

After looking at the map I started getting itchy all over. My co-workers are looking at me funny as I strip down in my cube and start looking for the bloodsucking little critters. Yikes, I forgot all about those little bas*ards. Thanks for the reminder.

"Where ever you go, there you are"

quote:

I have seen them while hiking in the Columbia Gorge, and have had a friend bitten by one. Not as prevalent, but a good idea to know all you can about them.

quote:

I have seen them while hiking in the Columbia Gorge, and have had a friend bitten by one. Not as prevalent, but a good idea to know all you can about them.