Garmin Firmware Update

I was sorta hoping that someway, somehow, my USB connectivity would work after this upgrade. Durn....

Have read the troubleshooting FAQs at the Garmin site, have dug all over on this site. Have reloaded USB Garmin drivers so many times. The computer will always reward me with the "Unrecognizeable USB device" error. Device manager sees the Garmin USB driver but with an error flag on it: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

Soooo, I was just hoping that this upgrade would fix all of this even though USB was not listed in the fix chart. Ah well. The old slow serial cable works just fine.

I was sorta hoping that someway, somehow, my USB connectivity would work after this upgrade. Durn....

Have read the troubleshooting FAQs at the Garmin site, have dug all over on this site. Have reloaded USB Garmin drivers so many times. The computer will always reward me with the "Unrecognizeable USB device" error. Device manager sees the Garmin USB driver but with an error flag on it: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

Soooo, I was just hoping that this upgrade would fix all of this even though USB was not listed in the fix chart. Ah well. The old slow serial cable works just fine.

Sounds like you have a hardware conflict on your computer, not a driver issue.

Otherwise everyone would be having the same problem. Use your 'add/remove'

hardware funciton in the control panel of windows to try to troubleshoot the

problem. Depending on how long you've had this computer and how much

hardware/software has been added and removed to/from it you may be due

for a rebuild of your computer; that is reformat the hd to start w/ a clean slate

and reinstall your programs. This is not for the sqweemish or casual pc user

though. If you're not very comfortable doing this take it to a shop and have

them do it for you.

Regards,

indybill

there is a whole long thread under gps/software

suggest you close this one and go over there -

I don't like the long thread at all.

It's a big mess of information, it's hard to find specific information.

The best thing was to get a specific forum for Garmin units :tired:

Edited by jotne

Do you have a USB 2.0 and a regular USB port on your computer? Maybe you are using the USB 2.0 instead of just the USB one...Don't know though...

Delay

Sounds like you have a hardware conflict on your computer, not a driver issue..... Depending on how long you've had this computer and how much

hardware/software has been added and removed to/from it you may be due

for a rebuild of your computer...

New computer straight from the box. A Dell............ Brand new. New car smell. USB ports work PERFECTLY for other USB devices that are temporarily plugged into it. And of these USB devices, none installed their own proprietary USB drivers. That's it, blame it on the user. :tired: BLAH, buy a Macintosh! At least the Mac sees the Garmin but since programmers hardly write GPS Garmin for the Mac, especially maps, it is mute point.

After reading several threads on USB for Garmins, I'm convinced these GPS units need a LOT of work on their USB implemention. Many of the fixes including going into the Device Manager and disabling Enhanced USB 2.0, doing the install, then enabling USB 2.0. Bunches of hoop jumping. Other threads include problems with large map transfers, iffy communications.

USB reaks with the Garmin............ yet, works fine for some users. BLAH! I'l go back to the old serial cable. For proof there are some issues, just go to the troubleshooting section at the Garmin site, simply type ''USB'' and read the list of "fixes". Garmin simply doesn't talk USB well.