Aaarggg Someone Stole My Gps!

1stimestar

I carry it, along with a lot of files and paper and junk in a canvas bag with me back and forth to work. This is so I can have a small purse and I don't have to take the rest of my junk with me to the store etc. I work for the Adult Learning Programs of Alaska. We do the GED along with several other programs. I recently had to change from "my" office to an office cubicle shared with 3 other instructors (they are all part time) right off of the "Learning Resource Center" which has students coming and going through. Normally I just throw my canvass bag under my desk. Normally there is a Learning Resource person in the LRC moderating people coming and going, helping them with assignments etc. Apperantly someone got bold and came into the cubicle, dug through my bag, and found my gps. I was going to do a new quickie in the area on my lunch hour and didn't find it in my bag where I ALWAYS keep it. So I went home to check and make sure it wasn't on my desk for some reason, it wasn't. ARRRG! I can't afford a new one as my rent just went up by $228 a month! This one I bought from a friend for a really good deal too. I asked the office manager what type of insurance we had to replace it and she is checking into it..... I'm so mad, at myself and the theif who stole it.

I carry it, along with a lot of files and paper and junk in a canvas bag with me back and forth to work. This is so I can have a small purse and I don't have to take the rest of my junk with me to the store etc. I work for the Adult Learning Programs of Alaska. We do the GED along with several other programs. I recently had to change from "my" office to an office cubicle shared with 3 other instructors (they are all part time) right off of the "Learning Resource Center" which has students coming and going through. Normally I just throw my canvass bag under my desk. Normally there is a Learning Resource person in the LRC moderating people coming and going, helping them with assignments etc. Apperantly someone got bold and came into the cubicle, dug through my bag, and found my gps. I was going to do a new quickie in the area on my lunch hour and didn't find it in my bag where I ALWAYS keep it. So I went home to check and make sure it wasn't on my desk for some reason, it wasn't. ARRRG! I can't afford a new one as my rent just went up by $228 a month! This one I bought from a friend for a really good deal too. I asked the office manager what type of insurance we had to replace it and she is checking into it..... I'm so mad, at myself and the theif who stole it.

How awfully annoying, but things like this happen.

As to insurance: I'm not an expert, but I suggest you be careful about hidden costs down the line, expressed in a raised contribution or an unexpected discontinuation of a policy. Even if your insurance covers small thefts, it is generally better not to claim the coverage, and rely on insurance only for really catastrophic events. Think damage control.

In the meantime, bite through the sour apple and cache with a featureless cheapo second-hand GPS, or turn it into a challenge and use maps only, until you can afford a good one again.

As a security professional, I can tell you that office theft is prevalent and rampant throughout the whole country. Whether a "part time" employee stole it or a student... I would be checking out the pawn shops in your area. Also, it is a good idea to alert the proprietors of those shops about the situation. and give them your phone #.. Also, notify the police of it too. They may bust a theft ring down the road and your GPSr might be in the 'Cache' that they recover.

Most likely, the thief took it to get drug money. Sorry about your loss. These things happen all the time. You might investigate if your employer has a locker that you can put personal items in. I do where I work. If not, then maybe you have a locked drawer in your desk?

...As a security professional, I can tell you that office theft is prevalent and rampant throughout the whole country....

It's funny you mentoin that. In my office I've got something like 1500.00 worth of electronics just laying around on any given day. My wife worked at the YMCA and they had daily problems with theft. It was hard to train people that "yes you need to lock up your gear".

Glad your situation had a happy ending!

The 3- and 5-year old Junior Ladybugs would NEVER do that :rolleyes:.

At least when I ask them where Daddy's GPS, camera, trade goods, head lamp, watch, etc., went, they 'fess up pretty quickly or at least start looking real hard. I love the bright beaming smiles on their faces when the "find" the missing item(s) :blink:. Must be why the like to go caching so much.