Setting Goals For Yourself

AtoZ

avoiding negatives like wavector(that attack was not warrented at all)

AT least sbell111 used the word appeared.

Since you think there was an attack on someone, other than the numbers, perhaps you will take a crack at the last post I made and point out the attack, and why it was an attack.

It also contains a question about a very obvious attack by the OP, perhaps you can point out why his direct belittling escaped your attention but my attack on the numbers was unwarranted.

Your post is another unwarranted attack.

Let me guess, you feel belittled and insulted, and you have already pointed out why, and the problem is that I can't see it. :rolleyes:

Perhaps now you can go add to this thread, I like to think of it as the reading skills thread, Reading Skills.

You can look for the attack there as well.

I envision you two thusly - you are both slightly handicapped (no walks more than 50 feet) and you live in Nashville (naturally). You find about 70 caches a day and you have been caching at least thirty times. You have found the two thousand your friend has placed and he has found yours, the logs are wet but that doesn't matter because they were free and the distance from the photo counter to the parking lot hiding spot, while more than 50 feet, can be combined with a shopping trip.

So what do you insuniate by your comment above???? It is funny you act innocent but then why have so many folks taken your comment as being a personal attack???

The second question is why did you even make a statement if it was not contributing in a positive manner to the orgional question????

I am glad the numbers do not matter but like anything in life it can be made to be part of the game. I very rearly take thing seriously some goals involve doing just one cache on a weekend, granted it may be a 4/5 or 5/4 but it will be fun. Other times I just go along for the rid with who ever I am with. I have made my geocaching experiance one I share with others. I have the most fun when I am with a friend, whether old or new. The hunt is just an added bonus. Sometimes it is a race to see who can find the cache the fastest. My one friend I sware can see a cache from 50 feet even when I am standing on top of it.

O'well I hope you have a good experiance and I am sorry if you feel or I have caused you any mental deress.

cheers

For me, the primary objectives related to this activity are to always have fun, spend time with family and friends, get some exercise, and to use the planning and hunting as a way to clear my head from the troubles of everyday life for a couple of hours.

Other than that, my caching goals are fairly loose, and change all the time.

On a day where I plan to spend a fair amount of time caching, I'll have a goal of a specific number of caches which I'd like to find that day. The number corresponds exactly to the number of printed cache pages I have in my hand when I leave the house. If I don't get 'em all, no biggie.

On another day my only goal will be to bag a single cache which has been on my radar, or to find the first stage or two of a difficult multi so I can finish it up some other time.

I do try to get in a bit of geocaching when I am visiting someplace new. I also have set a goal for myself to find caches in 7 new states this year.

What are my goals? My goals may or may not be unique to me. My goals may change from day to day depending on many influences. My goals will obviously reflect me and my lifestyle.

I have enjoyed seeing the goals of other geocachers. In fact, I may consider some new goals!

Whatever your goals; numbers of caches, enjoying nature, enjoying family, competition with other geocachers... enjoy them, go for them and ignore those who can't share in the joy of you reaching them or who belittle your goals. Human nature is so... human.

Some of my goals for geocaching include numbers of caches, enjoying nature, meeting new people, improving my navigation skills, exercise, exploring new places, the thrill of the hunt for "treasure," placing geocaches, and starting travel bugs.

Regards,

VirginiaJim

The numbers, what a joke.

The best thing that geocaching.com could do would be to eliminate the number found count from the logs completely. If you write a good enough log I will look at your profile and see your numbers, maybe I will be impressed. If you write TNLNSL then I will pass on looking at your numbers. Even if I look at your numbers I will interpret things in my own fashion.

When you tell me you are caching with one of the top number cachers in the country I envision you two thusly - you are both slightly handicapped (no walks more than 50 feet) and you live in Nashville (naturally). You find about 70 caches a day and you have been caching at least thirty times. You have found the two thousand your friend has placed and he has found yours, the logs are wet but that doesn't matter because they were free and the distance from the photo counter to the parking lot hiding spot, while more than 50 feet, can be combined with a shopping trip.

When I see the TNLNSL and a 1000+ count I wonder if those players even realize that the caches are placed by other people and don't just magically spring up after the georain.

If Groundspeak is a language then the numbers are the swear words.

My own goal is to learn to speak Groundspeak more clearly through participation in this activity, one which connects me to other people and places I might not encounter otherwise.

Posts in the forums like this are the swear words!

I know folks say it is not about the numbers bit if it isn't then why log you finds????

Ack!

I wish that the numbers would go away whenever I read a post like this.

I have no numbers-related goals. I write logs to share something of the experience of finding the cache with the person who hid it and the rest of the community. If it isn't an experience worth mentioning, I don't log it at all. If people are logging my caches for the sole purpose of getting their number, I'd prefer that they didn't log at all.

My goals...hmmm. Well, I guess I have lots of them. Numbers? I like them and think they are interesting but keep the importance of them (to me) in prospective. I have just as much fun working all day to bag a single cache and especially so if its a 4x4 cache. It's still fun to set personal goals and watch what others do.

Size doesn't matter to me either... I like them all. Easy is good and hard to find has its place also. Gosh, I guess I even enjoy virtuals! I guess I view caching sorta like music. We all have a kind of music that we like and have types of music that we don't like. My goal is to enjoy my music and not belittle another type of music or another cacher that derives pleasure from his type of music.

Another goal I have is to learn more about the culture in the forums and the site so I can adapt to better get along with the moderators and my fellow cachers. The goal is to enjoy the site without causing problems or the a word.

Another personal goal I have is to contribute more to geocaching.com I plan on planting more quality caches and attending more CITO events. I've started attending more event caches and will continue that trend. Meeting cachers in person is a good thing and goes a long way in understanding other points of view.

I'm not orientated towards any set goal. I'm in it for the fun. Caching is a lot like my profession as a Chef. There is more than one ingredient in any dish and variety is the spice of life. If I were to have a goal it would be to get the tough one done my May 5th, just so I can see if some cachers will wind up picking spruce needles out of their shorts. I do read the logs and get a chuckle now and then.

Now that I have a little more free time on Saturday afternoons Corey and I will do some caching, so maybe thats a goal to go have fun with son #6, then come home and see if #2 son has found some more caches in Nevada.

My Goals for the day.

1. Find three caches. And while finding these caches...

2. Visit James Madison's plantation and learn something new about Mr. Madison. GC8001

3. Visit the village of Madison Run and find out about Atomic and Junior. GCH2TE

4. Sit by Robinson River and do some birding. GCN3XQ

5. Fix the washing machine. Needs a new timer. Part of my honey do list! Part# 661549

Looks like a nice Spring day in Virginia.