Low Temperature Gps Unit?

I love to geocache, but my SportTrak's battery terminals corroded and so I am in th emarket for a new one.

So many choices!

I look at product comparisons on the Internet but only see one that was rated at temps below 5 degrees, and it has been discontinued.

Anyone have an info on these?

I am into mountaineering now, and might want to bring one along,

just for the fun of it. Ive been at -18 degree F.

Otherwise, I will get the Garmin eTrex Legend C.

Please write to me if that is a mistake!!!

Judy

www.judyherilla.com

Edited by heyjude_pgh

The TDS Recon is a heavy duty unit (but comes with a heavy duty price as well). It is built to military specs and is a PDA/GPS. It has an operating range down to -22F and a storage range down to -40F. The Coast Guard uses them on their small rescue boats, so they are pretty water resistent as well.

Of course, you could replace several Legends for the price! :(

With the rebate the 60c is in that price range and has the advantage (among other things) of an external antenna connection. That would let you keep the unit inside some clothing layers where it'd be warmer while still keeping a good tracklog and just take it out to check when you need to.

Not sure how the TFT displays work in the cold.

So far the cold does not seem to effect it one bit. Last month I left the 60cs in the car overnight when the temps dropped below zero. i powered it up around five degrees the next morning and the display was a crisp and fast as ever.

the unit seemed to perform normal, but i' not sure how it would handle it over the long run. Given how rugged garmin units usually are, I would say go for one of them.

just my two cents, after using a TFT screen, i will NEVER go back to an old LCD again.

hope this helps.

Joe Smith

Edit:

oh, just saw you are from pittsburgh too!

The legend C is a good option due to the sreen. However the 60c/s has an option for an external antenna. You could keep that out where it will get a good signal and keep the gps nice and safe in a pocket.

Also if you are going to be climbing, the 6ocs, and the vista c both have barametric altimeters to keep track of elevation data.

Edited by Joe Smith