SEARCHING FOR CACHES

loonylady

how do I do a search on the Hide and Seek page that will limit my list to jsut the cahes in Maine but near a certain zip code and or co-ordinate.

I live near the Canadian border so get the list with N.B. sites also.

I would prefer that I could just get a list of Maine sites.

thank you

loonylady

keep smiling and enjoy the life we have been given

Your best bet is to probably just use the map function. Go to the main page, select MAINE from the drop-down state list. On the following page click MAP at the top and go from there. I don't know if there's any way to tell it not to include the Canadian caches.

Good luck!

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

mdgpsbanner.gif

I would like to have a feature like this as well considering I am a stones toss to NYC, but unfortunately its not possible at this time.

As previuosly stated, you could take advantage of the pocket queries which gives more flexibility in searching, however it is only for paying members.

By looking at caches by state, it is not useful because it does not tell you the distance from where you are. You could look at the general area you wish to search and take it from there, otherwise it just lists every cache within the state.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Kar

What magellan315 says. We always determine what caches we hunt by how far we want to drive. Just go to the Hide and Seek a Cache page, enter the zip and how far out from there you are willing to travel.

I don't know which is worse, the ants I'm standing in, or the sand spurs I walked through to get here...

quote:
Originally posted by ScrubJ:

What magellan315 says. We always determine what caches we hunt by how far we want to drive. Just go to the Hide and Seek a Cache page, enter the zip and how far out from there you are willing to travel.

That would include Canadian caches as well, which the original poster specifically asked not to receive. As of now, the old fashioned map is the best bet. icon_smile.gif

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

mdgpsbanner.gif

well hey I do not foolow these directions is it a feature you have due too preminum membership?

I have sent my registration fee by mail and hope to be on soon.

I am not getting anywhere with this limiting the search I am surprised that this is not a possible limit in the search. I cannot do just a decrease in mileage as it is only 10 miles to the border and there are not many caches nearby have to have the range up to 70 miles to get much of a list.

so I will keep printing out the N.B. caches and

will go over there sometime to seek them out, but dogs need to go to vet for updated shots first, as you may know when crossing the border you must show shot records for animals.

Up here many people travel back and forth across the border on a daily basis.

thanks you for the suggestion and maybe there will be a feature added to the search engine.

geosmiles to you

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

Your best bet is to probably just use the map function. Go to the main page, select MAINE from the drop-down state list. On the following page click MAP at the top and go from there. I don't know if there's any way to tell it not to include the Canadian caches.

Good luck!

~robert

_Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache._

http://www.mdgps.net

keep smiling and enjoy the life we have been given

Hi All,

Have a question. I am totally new at this and the other night tried to find a cache. Supposedly I was within 20 feet of it, if my GPS was correct. I couldn't find it. Are these GPS's really that accurate, have a Vista? And, is it possible someone just picked it up and it isn't there. Can you ask the cache originator to validate its presence? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

When you search for a cache within, say, 100mi of your zip code, it lists the sites by mileage, but also shows the direction from that zip (i.e. 23.7mi NE). So if you're only 10 miles south of the border, just disregard any caches that show up more than 10 miles N, NE, or NW of your location.

When I prepare to go caching, I'll use the search feature and concentrate on caches that are around the same distance and direction from my home so that I know they are all in the same general area.

www.brillig.com is also very useful, and clicking on the caches shown on that map will take you directly to the cache page, regardless of which geocaching website they are listed on.

The state option on the geocaching.com main page is also very similar.

Lone eagle, GPS's can be that accurate, or sometimes not. Tree cover, cloud cover, etc. can alter accuracy. In addition, a site's coodinates are only as good as the hider's accuracy as well. Add his EPE to your EPE, allow for bad conditions on either or both, and well, you get the idea. Sometimes it also helps to move away and approach again from a different direction. I've found caches that were within 1 foot of where my GPS said, and others as far as 50-100 feet away. Once I get really close, I usually disregard my GPS's readings and start trying to think like a Geocacher: "What would make a good hiding spot around here?" The clues can also be useful for the last leg of the find. Don't get discouraged, the more finds you get, the easier that line of thinking will become.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!