Paying For Someone Else

BigWhiteTruck

Inspired by This post:

Is there a way to pay for someone else's membership without logging in as them. I did it for my brother for Christmas, but I had to log in as him and pay that way. It would be nice if there was a "Pay someone else's account" link in your personnal account page. The confirmation email would of course be sent to the owner of the other account.

I know there are a lot of people who can afford to pay, but don't for any number of reasons, but I suspect that a taste of premium membership might get them to start forking it over. Also, there are people who can't afford to pay. On the flip side, there are people like myself who would like to donate $3 here and there either to help the site grow by attracting more PMs, out of simple charity (like Milbank?), or maybe even FTF prizes.

I have seen MMORPGs (massivly multiplayer online role playing games) that use a subscription system include the ability to pay for another player. The risk of course is an economy forming within the game. The difference here though is there are no goods and services to trade in geocaching like in an MMORPG (or should I say in other MMORPGs).

I would like to donate now and then like Hilbank, but I can't see an easy way to do it. If there is a way to do this, I sure can't find it.

Yes! Just pay for the membership like you normally would, then email the activation code to the person of your choice.

I would have thought that the activation code would be specific to the account. If not, that's great!

So you could even print out activation codes to leave as FTF prizes.

Cool

Not sure about this. I remember reading a thread a while back where Jeremy stated something along the lines of wanting to have some kind of reasonably secure way to know who is who among the premium members (I think it was in a thread about gift cards). So if this does work, I don't think it will work for long. I'd check with TPTB before going out and buying someone else a membership.

BigWhiteTruck Posted on Mar 7 2005, 11:57 AM

I know there are a lot of people who can afford to pay, but don't for any number of reasons, but I suspect that a taste of premium membership might get them to start forking it over. Also, there are people who can't afford to pay.

Hi BigWhite. A few thoughts occurred to me about this. Looking at the portion of your post that I quoted, It seems you would like to have this go to someone who is not now, or has ever been a Premium Member. If so, you can't just offer this as a FTF Prize to whoever gets there first. You want the first Basic Member.

You could either specify this, or just not even mention it on the Cache Page. You could just review the logged finds and contact the first Basic Member finder.

This would also satisfy the "known person" part of this discussion, as they would already have given the info required to create an account and log the find.

Good luck with this. I hope it is a positive experience for you.