How About Some Favorites/bookmarks Links?

Jennifer&Dean

HI!

Dean and I are planning a cross country trip from Montana to Indianapolis,IN for the Star Wars Convention in April.

Please, if you have a favorites list that you are willing to share, share it with us! We would like to hit historical/educational/cool/pretty places on our trip.

I would really appreciate it as we are going to be downloading over 5000 caches for this trip and we need some help choosing the ones to visit.

Hikes of about 1 mile are OK, day long puzzle multis are (unfortunately) not an option. We are in Indianapolis for 5 nights (arrive 21st of April, leave 25th April).

Going to be passing through:

Sioux Falls, SD

Des Moines,IA

Normal, IL

Indianapolis, IN

Chicago, IL

Madison, WI

St Paul, MN

and Jamestown, ND

Again, I'd love to see your bookmarks of your favorite caches in your areas! Also post recommendations as well if you are willing.

Pretty Please!

-Jennifer

Hey there! I'd recommend the Planet of the Apes. It's near Joliet, Il. Short hike, nice area, LARGE contaner and a new smiley type! Don't think a cell phone light is needed to find it either (inside joke). If timing is right, might even be able to meet up with you there, my younger son has been itching to find that one too...

That sounds like a fun cache. We will try to make it work for our trip, I'll keep in touch with ya. I'm sure we can manage to look for it by a cell phone light if we try hard enough.

Anybody eles got any must-not-miss caches to share?

-Jen

Assuming that you are heading back on I-65 from Indy to Chitown.

In Rensallaer

---------------

GCJNW5 - Bside park and grab. Tricky. I haven't found it yet.

GCJ2VV - Soggy Bottom. This was a fun one. Simple but fun.

In Lafayette / Battleground

-------------------------------

GCH160 - WHT: North. Mine but I get a lot of compliments on it so maybe it is good. About a 1 mile round-trip walk.

GCHC4Q - The Prophet's Trail. Fairly simple multi. Although the container at the end isn't that great.

There are other caches on the way back north but they are much further off the interstate. Unfortunately the area between Indy and Chicago is pretty much a wasteland of farm fields. The parks tend to be small and either county or city. Of course this is what Geochacing is good for -- finding those out of way spots.

Historical is the oldest cache in Indiana -- GCB8 - the Biolermaker cache.

Be careful of hunting any in the IN state parks. The DNR has been pulling all of the caches and although some owners have disabled/archived their listings, others haven't gotten around to it yet. A real shame - a lot of IN cachers are upset at this turn of events.

I'll warn Dean about potential missing caches in State Parks. Thanks for the info, we'll avoid them when possible and thus not have to pay many entrance fees to support them while this problem is ongoing. (In MT out of staters pay to use the parks, in staters automatically pay when renewing their license plates).

Good luck to whomever is working on getting this resolved.

-J

As of yet it is not a statewide practice for the DNR people to be pulling caches. One park in the far south has had all caches pulled, and some other scattered caches have been pulled by DNR people. Many DNR property managers still allow, and actually encourage geocaching. Cachers are now required to get a free permit, and have caches approved by property managers. Since some of Indiana is still in the grip of winter, most property managers are giving cachers a little time to get the permits.

Enjoy your visit to Indiana

Charlestown SP (the one mentioned above as the park in the south) and Summit Lake SP caches have definitely been pulled. I have also read that other properties have had them pulled, but no specifics were offered, so I don't know the parks involved. Prophetstown SP has yet to grant a permit (it's a new park so there weren't any existing caches to pull). Also, one of the ones pulled in Charlestown HAD a permit that had already been given preliminary approval. It, too, was pulled, without prior notification to the owner.

I just wanted to caution out-of-area cachers to be aware that there is a problem with the IN state park caches and it might be best to verify (either by reading previous logs or by e-mailing the owner) that any given cache is still there before heading out on the hunt. I know how frustrated I'd be if I paid my entrance fee specifically for the purpose of hunting a cache only to find that it had been pulled.

Rochelle of Car54

Here's another, more positive note, for the OP. Don't know how you feel about cemetery caches, but the Indiana Spirit Quest series has caches in many historical, sometimes out-of-the-way cemeteries. If nothing else, the cache pages are an interesting read. The series began in northern IN but has recently been picked up by other cachers in various parts of the state. There are some relatively new ISQ caches in the Indy area.

Rochelle of Car54

Click on my favorite caches list, linked to below in my signature. Several Chicago-area classics are on the list, including the Project APE cache already mentioned, and "Beverly," the second-oldest active geocache (after "Mingo" in Kansas).

I haven't found any caches in Indiana yet, so can't help you there. I will be filling that gap in my state map come July!