Narrowed down to two GPS devices.!!

Team-Won4ALL

I think you have missed a good option in the Sportrak Pro. Should be in the same price range. Sportrak has an excellent Antenna and stays in coverage longer than even the GPS V. It can also download 23 meg of maps. The vista has problems with losing satellite coverage. I have a friend who had one. Gave it to his brother and upgraded to the GPS V. Might be out of your price range, but a very nice machine.

I went with the Magellan Meridian Platinum (even though I've always used Garmins) because I heard from several sources that MMP's antenna reception is superior to Garmin's in tree cover. I love it. I've also discovered that it's also easier to enter & edit waypoints with the MMP. Otherwise, they're about the same. (FYI-- I purchased my GPS through offroute.com as their prices were significantly less than other sources).

Good Luck!! Mugsly

I like my Vista, since for the use I have for it, the small size is important. I do know that there are units with better reception, but I can live with that. It would have been worse for me to live with the bulkier Meridian size, for example.

But there simply isn't one GPS that's best for everything. In the car, you want a larger display. In the forest, you want a larger antenna. In the mountains, you want a longer running time on a set of batteries. When carrying it, you want it to be as small as possible.

Everywhere, you want lower price and more memory for maps.

With what's available, I'd like something like a StreetPilot, with a DVD player attached, in the car, something small like the Vista in my hand, and perhaps something in between, like the 76S, on the bicycle.

Anders

I have a Magellan Meridian (the basic brown one) and love it. I have a hunting buddy with a Etrex.

I found the Magellan to be easier to use. I was toying with his and spent about half the day learning how to use it. The Magellan just kind of makes sense. Of course reading the instructions on the Etrex would have made it easier. I also have found that the reception is excellent. I very seldom loose sat lock, even when down in the swamps. The platinum should be even better. My only gripe is the way it chews up batteries.

Good luck

Si quando audius mihi infremus, tum videlicet quoque tardus

Even though it has some loss of coverage in heavy timber and in the canyons, who cares. I have a waypoint and a TOPO map before I lose coverage so with a little plotting I still know where I'm at.

Its powerful and functionally enough for all the work I put it through. I don't only Cache for fun, I plot trails for maps that the USFS uses and it does the job. Have used it in several search and rescue missions and have safely found and evacuated the victims.

Its size is small enough that it fits under my pack strap (antenna exposed) and does an excellent job of tracking and it has lots of other neat features that are real handy.

Works real well on the dashboard of my truck, keeps a good running log of where I'm at.

With the pre-programed waypoints in it you can even let you kids know how far to the next rest area and the estimated ETA, so cross you legs kids till we get there. icon_eek.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

Even though it has some loss of coverage in heavy timber and in the canyons, who cares. I have a waypoint and a TOPO map before I lose coverage so with a little plotting I still know where I'm at.

Its powerful and functionally enough for all the work I put it through. I don't only Cache for fun, I plot trails for maps that the USFS uses and it does the job. Have used it in several search and rescue missions and have safely found and evacuated the victims.

Its size is small enough that it fits under my pack strap (antenna exposed) and does an excellent job of tracking and it has lots of other neat features that are real handy.

Works real well on the dashboard of my truck, keeps a good running log of where I'm at.

With the pre-programed waypoints in it you can even let you kids know how far to the next rest area and the estimated ETA, so cross you legs kids till we get there. icon_eek.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

The MeriPlat is a great device.

It will chew up the less expensive batts with the light on, or with one of the compass displays showing while in use.

Totaly customizable display screens for your viewing pleasure. Screens can be Edited to show only the information you deem necessary and Enable or Disable Total Screens all together so you can scroll to the screens you most use without getting lost on in the unit.

Batt has lasted me around 10-15 hr continious use. Reception is great under cover and during T-Showers. Ive used it in an auto with 6 sat's visible @ 65 mph and accuracy is dead nuts on. Cookie crumbs (Repeted traks) are dead nuts on with days apart on readings.

Easy to add edit waypoints/routes, Baro Function is great for forcasting, Compass is nice to have on hand.

Extra mem (S.D. Palm Compatable Memory works) can be had for around $1.00 per Meg or LESS!(64 meg for $49.95 at best buys). Able to use Backtrak and save track to route.

Uploadable "Regions" allow for extreem detail for streets and trails, address lookup, street lookup, POI lookup.(Mapsend topo/Streets needed)

In the End I like My MagiNum.

Now if I can only find that rock I dropped into the shag carpet.