Magellan Meridian Software Question

AngelaSeely

I want to get mapsend Topo and mapsend streets and destinations but I don't know which version supports my Meridian. Where are some places I can get these softwares for cheap? Are there any other programs I may want? I bought a 512 SD for the Meridian last night. How much stuff can I hold on that? Thanks for all of your help!

Angela

Any of the Map Send versions will work on your Meridian. The latest TOPO is 4.20D, I think.

I suggest Map Send TOPO. It has the same street information as the Map Send Streets. The only difference is Streets has more Points Of Interest. Meaning it has more symbols on the maps for land marks and historical markers.

Your 512 meg SD will hold alot of maps. As long as you learn how to use a SD card reader. In fact you will not get the benefit of your 512 card unless you use a reader. The 512 will hold nearly half of the United States on it.

If money is the biggest concern, I concur that MapSend Topo may be the best buy for getting detailed maps into your Meridian...and there's little point to getting Streets & Destinations if you have Topo.

But if you can afford it, either the new MapSend Topo 3D or MapSend DirectRoute are more accurate. If you were getting just one, I think the autorouting feature of DR makes it the compelling mapping program for the Meridian.

If you were getting just one, I think the autorouting feature of DR makes it the compelling mapping program for the Meridian.

Unless, of course, you know your way around, or have a laptop for "in vehicle" navigation....then stick with the TOPO maps, so you have useful information "in the field"....like being able to "see" that the cache is on the OTHER SIDE of that big hill and it'd be easier to walk around, instead of over......or that it's on the other side of a lake.....or that stream or.......

What flavor Meridian do you have, Angela? The green and the yellow won't run DR, but all others will...at least, the green/yellow can't perform autorouting. They will still display the maps.

I'm not certain about Topo3D, but I think the green/yellow will actually display Topo3D maps, as well, although one probably has to hold the size down. The older Topo would probably work better because of this. T3D runs on other Meridians (Gold, Plat, Marine, Color) fine.

Ahhh! Sorry but I am a little confused by all the software choices. I guess I don't understand the exact difference between Mapsend TOPO and Mapsend Streets and Destinations. Is Topo 3D newer?

What I am really trying to find out is what overlap there is between the two. Is one better than the other? Does one have the same info as the other but more features? Enlighten me! I do most of my traveling in the city but do tend to head out and geo or 4x4 frequently. P.S. I use the Meridian Yellow.

Thanks,

Rich

I have the yellow Meridian. I just got it yesterday and used it for the first time today :D It was fun. I couldn't see any roads since I didn't have any software but it took me right to the cache. Even though there was rain pouring and it hasn't stopped raining in 3 days so the ground is nice and wet I couldn't resist not trying my luck on a cache.

For the yellow, I'd suggest Topo. (Definitely had the impression you just got it, Angela; assumed it was a higher level model since the green/yellows have been discontinued for a little while).

Topo and S&D use the same road database...and since that's the lion's share of the data in them, they overlap considerably in this regard. S&D has old POIs related to roads like restaurants and motels. Topo has POI's related to natiural phenomena like springs, mines, etc., as well as contour lines. Those would be oldish, too, but springs tend to come and go less often than restaurants.

Topo 3D is newer, and more detailed. With less detail, a Topo file would cover a larger area than a Topo 3D file. If you really want to be able to run the newer, fuller-featured MapSend softwares, you'd be best off getting Magellans with more memory. I'm speaking from a distance, owning a plat. If you are interested in running the newer progs on the y/g, you'd best hear from someone who has done so successfully to know how well it has worked (or not).

The yellows/greens are great value, but their memory puts limits on their capabilities...that's why they've been phased out by Magellan.