Best Program To Use For Papaerless

PyroDave

I just finaly got a nec mobilepro 880 (notebook) mostly for geo cacheing and I was woundering which of the programs on this sit seams to work best and why. I realize that im not gona get one right answer for this question but I'd like to know what one you use and why. Thanks for the help

Pyro

I'm very new to this sport, but I've gone "paperless" using Cachemate and my Palm M500.

I bought Cachemate for $8.00 . . . a bargain. Then I signed up for a Premium membership. I download the .gpx files into my Palmie and my GPSr for an area I'm going to be near when I go into town.

For what I've been doing so far, I think I can leave my laptop at home. Besides, I get a bit frightened having ALL my toys with me! :)

I have looked at GSAK and it may have more than I need. I started going paperless last week using the directions in Geocaching University. It sounds a bit complicated at first but it is really easy. Now I need to find a way to get some basic map shots into my Palm. I'm using a Tungsten E with 32 megs only and all free software. I'm using Easy GPS to download to the GPS.

WH -- I downloaded GSAK the other day and I'll be darned if I can figure it out. :)

And, I've been using computers for ten years. I just haven't used database-type programs. Cachemate is all I need . . . and all I can figure out right now. :)

GSAK can be quite daunting at first sight but it is well worth persevering with.

To produce a very simplified grid window from the main screen select 'Tools', 'Options', 'Display' and deselect as many as of the columns as you wish and check out the resultant display. GSAK is very user configurable.

As you become more familiar then each column can be added/deleted as required to suit you own needs/desires.

GSAK is the premier Caching tool right now. Not only does it allow multiple databases (for those of us who store Caches as well as other points-of-interest), it allows you to update them independently.

The latest version of GSAK was released today (or maybe yesterday, depending upon where you are). For what it's worth, I recommend you check it out. I haven't been disappointed at all. And I'm an American...so I'm congenitally disappointed.

I now only use Geocaching Swiss Army Knife and CacheMate.

GSAK for waypoint management/filtering on the PC and CacheMate on the Palm.

I can recommend them both. They're an absolute bargain and the support from both of the developers is second to none - no hanging on the phone listening to Muzak with these two guys  :( .

I also use these programs and agree 110% with Motley Crew