Waypoint Projection

ScubaAl

Hello Everyone,

I need some help, I have a multi-cache that requires waypoint projection. Both bearing and distance. I checked out the Garmin manual on how to do this. Only problem is the GPSr only allows 1 digit after the decimal point. The numbers I need to enter both have 2 digits after the decimal point. Might there be a website or something where I could enter the starting location, then the new bearing and distance and get the new location? Thanks for your help, Al

HHL Posted on Feb 19 2005, 11:43 PM

you haven’t mentioned the units the projection is made from. it might help changing »mi« to »ft«. happy hunting.

That is EXACTLY what you SHOULD be able to do. Sadly this is a crippled feature on Garmin, and Miles is the only option (and don't forget Meters either). Actually on a Garmin GPS Map76S I can do 2 Decimal Points, but that's still 52.8 Feet. Not good enough. And don't forget, NO DECIMAL POINTS on the Degree entry.

Thanks for the info so far. Here's what I have N44 48.--- W093 15.--- for the location of a micro that contained the following information, distance 4.28 miles, bearing 105.95 to the final cache. I guess I could always round up or down, but think that would be too inaccurate. With the 76CS there is only 1 place after the demcial point.

Happy Caching, Al

HHL Posted on Feb 19 2005, 11:43 PM
you haven’t mentioned the units the projection is made from. it might help changing »mi« to »ft«. happy hunting.

That is EXACTLY what you SHOULD be able to do. Sadly this is a crippled feature on Garmin, and Miles is the only option (and don't forget Meters either). Actually on a Garmin GPS Map76S I can do 2 Decimal Points, but that's still 52.8 Feet. Not good enough. And don't forget, NO DECIMAL POINTS on the Degree entry.

Say what? I can change the units on my Garmin 60C to MI, FT, YD, KM,M, or NM. I also seem to have two decimal points on the distance. Decimal points on the Degree entry would seem to be a bit of overkill. Unless you are working with great distances, there isn't going to be much difference..... just round off.

I was under the impression the 60 and 76 series used similar firmware?

… With the 76CS there is only 1 place after the demcial point.

Happy Caching, Al

that’s wrong for projection, but remains for proximity wps on gpsr. just do the proximity wp with mapsource. the circle will show on the gpsr. once done go to the projected waypoint (with 106 degrees) and follow the proximty circle 0.05mi to north. boom.

happy hunting.

projecting2fig2.jpgprojecting2fig.jpg

happy hunting from hamburg. (so the maps are not as detailed as should be, sorry)

Say what? I can change the units on my Garmin 60C to MI, FT, YD, KM,M, or NM. I also seem to have two decimal points on the distance. Decimal points on the Degree entry would seem to be a bit of overkill. Unless you are working with great distances, there isn't going to be much difference..... just round off.

I was under the impression the 60 and 76 series used similar firmware?

Yep. To project a more accurate waypoint, try MENU->MENU->Setup->ENTR->Units->ENTR. Then set Distance/Speed to Yards. When at the first waypoint, press Mark->MENU->Project Waypoint. You can project distance to a hundredth of a yard (0000.00)

Just a short update, I found this site http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/bearingdistance.asp only problem, it would not work at this time. I will try again later. I did us a site give me by one of the people responding to my question. I took the new location and went out hunting, did not find the cache, partly due to snow cover. Did contact a cacher that has found the final cache and sounds like I'm on the right track. Thanks for all the help, Al