Water proof?

swampman

Hello. I just bought my first GPS this Friday. I went out to the swamp for a hike as I usually do, but this time I didn't get lost. icon_smile.gif

I was reading where someone said, even though GPS's are waterproof, they can still fry. I know you can't sumerge them under water, but how wet is too wet?

Waterproof is relative. They very in how tough they are. Some would be considerd 'water resistant' and not waterproof. Other's flat out are not waterproof or waterresistant. You have to read the spec's on the unit you own. Also, and just as imporant is some float and some don't. My GPS V is waterproof to the highest rating they have but it doesnt' float. So it would keep working in the bottom of the muck even though I can't find it for all the muck.

It depends on the design... but the least waterproof part is usually the battery compartment. Each time you change the batteries you have the potential for making the unit less waterproof.

IF YOU GET IT WET INSIDE remove the batteries immediately and put it in a warm (not hot) oven for 24-48 hours.

In the electronics industry, circuit boards are routinely washed with water and then dried (but not with the power applied). Providing you remove power immediately it gets wet there is a chance the unit can be recovered.

However, it can take a long time to get the moisture out of a "waterproof" enclosure... for the same reason that it takes a while for the water to get in

If you are going to spend a lot of time in environments that are generally wet, go to your local boating supply store or find one online. There is a line of waterproof pouches that are clear and will keep water out. Even though GPS's are generally water resistant to some degree

a small investment to protect your GPS is cheaper than buying a new one.

Garmin and Magellan advertise many of their products to be "IEC-529, IPX7 (submersible to 1 m for 30 minutes)".

I couldn't find exactly who IEC for the source documentation, but I interpret that to mean water resistant and could take a dip in the water if quickly pulled it out.

I took my eTrex scuba diving with me and left it in my wet scuba bag overnight. The inside had a little condensation the following morning so I'm thiking the things are not super water tight. No damage in my case, but I moved it to a drier place the next night.

I also snowmobile and do the ziplock trick.