Specific Gps How-to.....

thumperness

I'm working on finding a puzzle cache and am running into a problem

The 1st coordinates take me to the starting point of the search. No problem...

From there I'm supposed to go at a heading/bearing of 34 degrees for precisely 1399 feet.

I have a couple of issues now: (allow me to ramble)

I can get a general idea of which direction to go. But once I go a little further than 500 ft. the distance turns into like .1 miles. Should I be able to make it display feet only. (I'll give GPS specs later on)

What I really want to be able to do is stand at the starting point and tell my GPS to make a new waypoint 1399 feet away at a heading of 34 degrees. Is this something I should be able to do and what is this procedure called? Waypoint, map, what?

My GPS is the Garmen Etrex Venture.

Sorry if this has already been asked but I could not find an answer on the boards.

Edited by thumperness

What you are trying to is called "projecting a waypoint".

Heres what you do.

Stand on your starting point and give your GPS a few moments to get a good position fix.

Mark your current location as a waypoint.

In the menu of the current screen you are now in, selct project waypoint and a new waypoint will be created.

On the new waypoint screen, use the cursor and edit the distance and bearing to the new location.

I have an Etrex Vista and this procedure is what I use to project a waypoint.

It also seems like if you couldn't enter a waypoint like this on a lesser GPS, you could mark the current waypoint and walk such that the current spot is 1399 ft at 214 degrees. 214 is 180 degrees + 34, the "opposite" direction looking back. (I know my eMap has a display option for at least yards, which would be better than miles.)