Ocd And Geocaching?

Sparrowhawk

I've observed that there seems to be a breed of geocacher who absolutely HAS to hit every cache in the local area not so much because it's fun, but because it would drive 'em nuts if they don't get EVERY cache. I've seen it in the forums... folks complaining about "lamp-post caches in parking lots" (lame caches, etc.) and then if you tell 'em "don't hunt 'em!" they say "I can't NOT hunt a cache!"

Hmmm... OK... whatever floats whatever boat you happen have. That doesn't seem like a lot of fun, though. ;)

I figure there must be a few of those in my area... heck, one would expect that type anywhere, SOMEwhere.

In another 6 weeks, I am placing a 160-mile round-trip road trip multi. The first stage is in a busy suburban area. Required equipment is "a whole spare day (preferably two days), a full tank of gas, and a full picnic basket." The point is to meander and enjoy the georgous hidden spots for awhile at each step of the multi before finally going home.

I wonder if I'll get a few "gotta get it now!" kinda cachers are going to rush thru this thing just to get it done because it drives 'em nuts to have it sitting there undone and thus completely miss the point of the cache? ;):P

Interesting subject... psychology of geocaching... :P

I've observed that there seems to be a breed of geocacher who absolutely HAS to hit every cache in  the local area not so much because it's fun, but because it would drive 'em nuts if they don't get EVERY cache.  I've seen it in the forums...  folks complaining about "lamp-post caches in parking lots" (lame caches, etc.) and then if you tell 'em "don't hunt 'em!" they say "I can't NOT hunt a cache!"

Hmmm... OK... whatever floats whatever boat you happen have.  That doesn't seem like a lot of fun, though.  ;)

I figure there must be a few of those in my area... heck, one would expect that type anywhere, SOMEwhere. 

In another 6 weeks, I am placing a 160-mile round-trip road trip multi.  The first stage is in a busy suburban area.  Required equipment is "a whole spare day (preferably two days), a full tank of gas, and a full picnic basket."  The point is to meander and enjoy the georgous hidden spots for awhile at each step of the multi before finally going home.

I wonder if I'll get a few "gotta get it now!" kinda cachers are going to rush thru this thing just to get it done because it drives 'em nuts to have it sitting there undone and thus completely miss the point of the cache?  ;)  :P

Interesting subject... psychology of geocaching...  :P

I have a similar cache to what you are planning, except my version is shorter.

I spent much time developing and researching this cache to give the cacher who decides to do this one a eye-opening, historical experience about our local area. It has been my experience that the numbers cachers will not rush out to get your cache...just like they haven't run out to do mine. I have had a few e-mails from these number obsessive cachers telling me they wont do that much work for a cache and only get one smily face. That verified to me that I "did this one right".

I have been somewhat able to predict which cachers would do my cache and which ones wouldn't. Those that take the time will be rewarded with an interesting experience as I am sure those that attempt yours will. Also, I'll be willing to bet that the logs about the finders experience will be the best that you will read.

Good Luck!

Salvelinus

In another 6 weeks, I am placing a 160-mile round-trip road trip multi. The first stage is in a busy suburban area. Required equipment is "a whole spare day (preferably two days), a full tank of gas, and a full picnic basket." The point is to meander and enjoy the georgous hidden spots for awhile at each step of the multi before finally going home.

I personally wouldn't place a cache like this for several reasons.

One, as the point of this thread, if I weren't albe to do this type of cache because the travel involved I'd be a little po'ed, because I could do parts of it.

Two, it will only show up on the lists of those near the beginning. The folks further out would likely miss out on the spots near them you are highlighting because the cache wouldn't be on their nearest list.

Three, you would be potentially taking up spots near others in essence creating either a vacation cache or virt they'd never see until they tried to place one at or near one of your stages effectively blocking them from placing one themselves.

Creating such a multi, IMHO, will not work on many levels. This would be much better as a series--if you don't bump into the vacation or virtual restrictions.

BTW, does the "vacation restrictions" apply to stages, too?

To worry that folks near the end of the multi won't be able to see the final stage is to miss the point of this particular cool road trip multi-cache. ;)

Portland is 90 miles from the west coast. Usually when folks head to the coast from the surburban area in question, they go the usual, boring, been-there-done-that route known as Hy 26.

I've found a beautiful, hidden alternative route that folks will be happy to discover. The route is revealed as you do each stage of the multi. The final cache-finding stage could be the most boring part of the multi... the real point is the surprise road you never knew was there. ;)

So I am planning on saying on the cache page: "If you are planning on going to the coast, do it by doing this multicache and be surprised." That's the point. The route itself IS the surprise cache, in a way. :P

Edited by Sparrowhawk
Two, it will only show up on the lists of those near the beginning

First of all, if it's 160 miles round trip, that means 80 as the crow flies at most to the start from the farthest point out, which means that you will receive notification when you get your weekly email.

Second off, if you're talking about numbers hungry people that go out and get every cache they can, Chances are that when they filter out finds it *will* show up as one of the closest.

Forgot to mention... I would not mind if folks place caches in spots near my stages... (as long as it's not rediculously close). This route could use more visitors anyway. This road needs to be more discovered and appreciated, and however that happens, that is cool.

There are no caches anywhere near that beautiful route as it stands now, which means there ain't no justice (yet).

Edited by Sparrowhawk
First of all, if it's 160 miles round trip, that means 80 as the crow flies at most to the start from the farthest point out, which means that you will receive notification when you get your weekly email.

Second off, if you're talking about numbers hungry people that go out and get every cache they can, Chances are that when they filter out finds it *will* show up as one of the closest.

Regarding your first point, this is not necessarily so. If one so desired, he could create a massive multi that would require 160 miles of driving, but could easily be all in the same county.

Second, if a person wasn't interested in hunting for this cache, they merely have to ignore it. It would never again show on the 'nearest' list.

As a person who has OCD in real life and is not ashamed to admit it, I can say I have never felt compelled to find every single cache in my area -- lame or long hike -- there's actually one people have asked me to do but I don't because I don't feel as I will have fun with it.

However, I do obsess over somethings, such as finding certain caches. When most of my friends have given up, I just keep on going, and most of the time I'm not able to find it.

Now for those people who are addicted to geocaching (I think I'm approaching that point, too), I dunno.

- JD

I would not mind if folks place caches in spots near my stages... (as long as it's not rediculously close).

I think they can hide close to your stages as long as the .1mile rule is obeyed and they email you for your permission. Or something like that. I remember someone told me this once a year or so ago.

I would consider your cache if it were on my side of the country. :P:ph34r: