Etrex Accuracy

shortcutsrus

Hi...I'm batting .333 here in the snow, and even though I think this will get easier in the spring, I have a question re: my new eTrex: I cruise toward the waypoint using the "GoTo" screen, which gives me a compass, arrow pointer, and distance-to-go indicator. All's well up until the last 20 feet or so, whereupon the arrow dances, the distance drops and climbs in a 15-25 foor range, without me even moving! I've looked up expecting to see satellites bouncing into one another! Did I get a lemon (sorry, it IS yellow...)or is this just within the degredation factor for civilian use? If normal, how do you cache veterans go about searching a 40-foot radius with a rather-disinterested spouse in tow? Thx. :D

When down to the last 20-30 feet, most cachers would put the GPS away and start using their eyes and cacher instinct to locate the prize. The GPS won't always put you right on top of the cache, but it should get you near enough. That's the time to put it away and start thinking "where would I hide it".

The yellow Etrex is a great little unit (I use one) so relax and enjoy the hunt.

Its sounds like your little yellow toy is working properly. You might consider setting your GPSr down when you get to ground zero, if you can't find the cache right away.

What I typically do is drop my pack at location my 3+ tells me to go to. I then set the GPSr on top of it (so I can find it). I then look for the cache. If I can't find it after a little while, I check my GPSr. By now, its had time to settle down and get me the best reading possible. I pull out my compass (don't tell anybody in that other thread :D ) and go to the new 'ground zero'. I look all over the place within 20-30 feet or so. If I don't find it, I read the prior logs and the hint for a clue. If I still don't have any luck, I move on to the next cache.

Regarding your other question, I leave my wife at home. She thinks the hobby is dumb, so I don't drag her along.

Sounds normal to me. You're going to see your needle move around once you get within the EPE, which is usually between 15-30 feet. Also, because the eTrexs(except the Summit and Vista) don't have electronic compasses, you must be moving at a fairly brisk pace to get an accurate bearing. Most people tend to slow down as they reach ground zero and this causes the GPS to lose track of which direction its travelling.

One way to help zero in on the cache when you experience the "needle dance" is to backtrack perhaps 50-75 feet and approach the area again at a faster pace.

Although the GPS system is very good at getting you close to where you want to go, remember that on a very good day it can only tell you that you are somewhere within a circle that is 20 to 50 feet wide. This is inherent in the system: it does not matter what model you own. (All GPSes can be expected to produce similar results, albeit at different speeds and with better-or-worse results under adverse conditions. They are all pretty "Tom Swifty" devices!)

If the caches you are looking for are uncomplicated, urban-style caches under generally good sky-conditions, simply expect the system to get you within a hundred feet or so ... which is pretty darned good if you think about the fact that the sats are tens of thousands of miles away :lostsignal: ... and plan to "use your wits" from there. Even though the GPS may appear to be able to "take you right to where 'X' marks the spot," it really can't. So, don't expect it to. You've got a fine GPS. You wouldn't get better results if you'd bought a different one. You made a great purchase-decision. (You didn't get :anitongue:d...) Now, get out there and find yourself some caches! Work within its technological "limits," and enjoy the sport. :D

Edited by HIPS-meister