Virtual Cachers Are Criminals!

Interesting. The real story on what is happening with The Bean can be found here.

Unfortunately the article was scanned REALLY small, so you have to adjust the rez of your screen waaaay down to be able to read it.

Long story short: the city states that they really don't want to stop the average joe from taking shots. They just don't want pro shooters to have at it and then make money.

Why?

Because the city wants exclusive rights to sell Cloud Gate pics.

And the origninal sculptor does NOT get any of that money.

This is a sculpture that was made with public money to start with.

Too bad this article cannot be easily read... I would love to copy it, circle the parts where the city spins - I mean 'states' that your average Joe can take pics, and hand that to the park guards.

<bump due to "search help" topic>

Wow!

I wonder if there has been a change in policy on this?

I was there this March (2006) and EVERYBODY was taking pictures. I would never have imagined that there would be a problem with that.

This landmark is flat out DESIGNED for picture taking!

To place something like this and then threaten to arrest people for taking pictures of it is like handing a two year old a lollipop and then spanking him for taking a lick!

IMHO if people aren't allowed to take pictures, it should be REMOVED FROM PUBLIC PROPERTY and the politicians that approved it should have to personally pay for the removal.

I took a lot of pictures, so I guess I should sign my name "Criminal" :anicute:

SO THERE.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

<bump due to "search help" topic>

Wow!

I wonder if there has been a change in policy on this?

I was there this March (2006) and EVERYBODY was taking pictures. I would never have imagined that there would be a problem with that.

This landmark is flat out DESIGNED for picture taking!

To place something like this and then threaten to arrest people for taking pictures of it is like handing a two year old a lollipop and then spanking him for taking a lick!

IMHO if people aren't allowed to take pictures, it should be REMOVED FROM PUBLIC PROPERTY and the politicians that approved it should have to personally pay for the removal.

I took a lot of pictures, so I guess I should sign my name "Criminal" :anicute:

SO THERE.

You can take all the pics you want, just don't make them into postcards and sell them.

Just like Groundspeak won't let folks advertise on their site without paying them.

Pretty simp[le concept - if you want to profit from other people's work you have to pay them for the priveledge!

Ed

...Pretty simp[le concept - if you want to profit from other people's work you have to pay them for the priveledge!

Ed

Nothing is simple. The building is art. The Photograph is art. A book written about the building is art. A movie based on the book that uses the building as backdrop is art. All are copyrightable. There has to be a reasonable limit. As a civil engineer it would be pretty bad if I didn't allow people to photograph a parking lot that I had designed. There is as much artistry in a parking lot as a building. It may not seem like it but there is a reason they pay engineers to do the designs and not artists. Now I wonder if an artist came to me to help him design his parking lot what would happen...

Wow! The Bean! My partner's husband played a major part in construction, assembly and polishing of The Bean. He worked on it for over five years. It was fabricated in Oakland, CA and then assembled on site (of course). I've been hearing some great stories about how compound curve steel structures are made.

Looks like carleenp visited just after the formal opening. Her photo is from underneath looking up inside the bean and was taken after the welding and initial grinding and prior to the final polishing. This information should be useful for the prosecutor's office when they nail her for copyright infringement.