Proposed Icon Change - Enabled, Disabled

Prime Suspect

The downside to the new disabled icon_redlight.gif and enabled icon_greenlight.gif icons, is that, except for some subtle shading, they look nearly identical when printed out on a non-color printer. Most laserjet printers are b&w, and a lot of people (like me), keep the grayscale option turned on to save our color ink cartridges for when we really need it.

I submit the following royalty-free (cause I drew 'em) icons instead. For the disabled icon, something based on the international "do not enter" symbol: disabled.gif

And this enabled.gif for the enabled icon.

Here's how they look in an actual cache log:

enable-disable.png

Comments?

The downside to the new disabled icon_redlight.gif and enabled icon_greenlight.gif icons, is that, except for some subtle shading, they look nearly identical when printed out on a non-color printer. Most laserjet printers are b&w, and a lot of people (like me), keep the grayscale option turned on to save our color ink cartridges for when we really need it.

I submit the following royalty-free (cause I drew 'em) icons instead. For the disabled icon, something based on the international "do not enter" symbol: disabled.gif

And this enabled.gif for the enabled icon.

Here's how they look in an actual cache log:

enable-disable.png

Comments?

1 vote from me for the change.

A good observation, I think. Might I suggest keeping the 2 icons a little more related? Stay with the white minus on a red background, and make the enable icon a white plus on a green background? My 2 cents offered freely and without a consulting fee. :lostsignal:

Well, it's not really intended to be a minus sign. The intent was to be an icon of the international NO ENTRY sign.

dne2ar.jpg

The checkmark is pretty much recognized world-wide as an affirmative symbol. But I can see you point about having the two be somewhat similar, since they indicate related functions. How about this: disabled.gif / enabled2.gif

Example:

enable-disable2.png

Edited by Prime Suspect
A good observation, I think. Might I suggest keeping the 2 icons a little more related? Stay with the white minus on a red background, and make the enable icon a white plus on a green background? My 2 cents offered freely and without a consulting fee. :blink:

But then the colors would backwards. The plus is supposed to be red for positive and the minus is black for nega... :lostsignal:

Opps, sorry.

:rolleyes:

I like PS's versions. Good job!

never thought of the b&w issue

In the future, how about "color-blind" considerations too? I now know of two geocachers with said trait.

(I'm not sure, but aren't subtle red and green shades the most common color-affected issues?)

Nice input and change everyone,

Randy

(If only everything in geocaching and gc.com were so easily resolved! Heh..)

never thought of the b&w issue

In the future, how about "color-blind" considerations too? I now know of two geocachers with said trait.

(I'm not sure, but aren't subtle red and green shades the most common color-affected issues?)

Nice input and change everyone,

Randy

(If only everything in geocaching and gc.com were so easily resolved! Heh..)

Isn't the B&W printer (which are really usually greyscale printers) issue pretty much the same thing as the colorblind issue?

Edited by Mopar
You might want to make sure they also go onto the "visit this log separately" page.  I posted an enable and disable log and while the cache page was right, the page showing the individual log when it was created still had the old icons.

I'm seeing exactly the opposite. The individual log, is the new image (icon_enabled.gif), but the cache page has the old one (icon_greenlight.gif).

But then I forced an update to the cache page, and everything's fixed.

Edited by Prime Suspect
Isn't the B&W printer (which are really usually greyscale printers) issue pretty much the same thing as the colorblind issue?

No and not necessarily.

B&W printers dither to visually represent grayscales at the expense of resolution.

"Color-blindness" is misnamed 'cause that's not the case. There are various types where individuals can't see certain wavelengths as strongly as others.

Some simple web-searching will clue one in if interested, and there's even one that has representations of what some example pictures look like to them.

I'm not informed enough to know if greyscale representations truely encompass "color-blindness" liabilities--I would think not. If one's red cones are less responsive, red would appear darker and greenish to them whereas it would print lighter than their perception of a matching green. IE, 75% red against 25% green would look all 25% green to them while it would print light grey against dark grey. That could be easily tested...

hth,

Randy