Help!!!! Is this an OK GPS

stewartmaddox

I recommend going with something more mainstream like a Garmin or that M company. Poke about the other threads, this horse has already been beaten.

Good luck!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

My brother(oddball) has a Garmin Etrex and is a great started unit, they are inexpensive and get the job done. I just bought a Garmin Venture and am very pleased with it and the extra features it has, plus it came with the computer cable. Buying an Etrex and separate cable just about isthe price of the Venture, that is why I bought it.

In the States try Cabella's, US Calvary, Bass pro shops, etc

In Canada try GPS Central, Praire GPS, Europe Bound, etc

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

My brother(oddball) has a Garmin Etrex and is a great started unit, they are inexpensive and get the job done. I just bought a Garmin Venture and am very pleased with it and the extra features it has, plus it came with the computer cable. Buying an Etrex and separate cable just about isthe price of the Venture, that is why I bought it.

In the States try Cabella's, US Calvary, Bass pro shops, etc

In Canada try GPS Central, Praire GPS, Europe Bound, etc

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

I assume you mean a Loran sportnav, not a Lorac.

Or perhaps, Loran-C. Its my understanding that this isn't actually a GPS unit. It might be good enough for caching, but it uses a different system than GPS and may not work in all the locations that a commercial GPSR does. Signal strength is supposed to be very weak, and probably isn't going to work well enough in forest or city environments.

If you can get one cheap, it might make a neat collector's item later, if your son becomes a hardcore geocacher icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a site with some more info on LORAN-C:

everything2 Loran-C entry

snazzsig.jpg

I assume you mean a Loran sportnav, not a Lorac.

Or perhaps, Loran-C. Its my understanding that this isn't actually a GPS unit. It might be good enough for caching, but it uses a different system than GPS and may not work in all the locations that a commercial GPSR does. Signal strength is supposed to be very weak, and probably isn't going to work well enough in forest or city environments.

If you can get one cheap, it might make a neat collector's item later, if your son becomes a hardcore geocacher icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a site with some more info on LORAN-C:

everything2 Loran-C entry

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Mossy Oak:

Magellan 315 at Walmart $147.00.

Ditto!

That's the price at all of the Walmarts around here too.

Just wish they'd include the cable. The local Sam's Clubs (WallyWorld owns them too) sell one for $199 that does include the cable & software. Might be a 330 though (They're GREEN!).

F-14.gif

Bury power lines, not pilots!

in regards to your inquiry, i have 2 units, actually 3 but one i havent been able to find for months, to clarify what people have been saying etrex is not a GPS it is a series of GPS, ie, etrex, etrex summit, etrex venture, and etrex legend. i have 2 legends and the lost one i believe is a venture. they are very good, however (i thought it was worth it) the legend is around 250, you may want to wait and get a set of rinos, (depending on how good they turn out to be) they will also run 200 to 250. the thing with them though is that they have a built in 2-way radio with tracking ie if you and your son are camping and he gets lost all he has to do is call you on the 2-way and HIS position will show up on YOUR screen. i myself am thinking of upgrading to this, again it depends on how they are when they come out, the biggest worry now is screen size. but if that turns out to be ok, i will probably take the plunge.