Quick Help! Garmin Vista Or Summit

Sportcat

Amazon has the Summit for $169.99 and the Vista for $204.99.

I owned the Summit about three years ago and then upgraded to a Meridian Platinum.

Now I want to go back to something smaller for geocaching. Would you go with the Summit or Vista? Any quality differences?

I need your opinions by Sunday (2/6/05) afternoon.

Thank!

Is a Garmin-quality data cable, high resolution screen, 24 MB of memory, WAAS, mapping, Jump Master, Calculator, Area Calculator, Calendaring functions, best hunting/fishing times, 500 more waypoints and 7000 more tracklog points worth paying a $35 premium for?

I'd say heck yes...

A better question is do you consider getting a GPSmap 60CS or 76CS so you won't have to upgrade again in the near future?

Definitely get the Vista instead of the Summit, but the Vista C (color display and much faster USB interface) would be tempting at this point. Then, for just a bit more, you could get the 60CS or 76CS and have a really super hand-held GPS receiver.

Do some looking around and compare price, service, and shipping..... let us know how it goes.

Definitely spend the extra bucks on the Vista. The Summit does not have maps or a compass. Those two things are worth the extra $$. Battery life on the Vista is a good 12 hours or so on mine with alkalines. Probably more, but I've never needed to replace the batteries in the middle of the day if I started out with fresh batteries.

As for quality control, my Vista has been ...

... dropped in a river

... dropped down a small mountain

... shoved under the seat of my Jeep

... given to a 5 year old to use

... on numerous plane trips, including in an unpressurized cabin

and has never failed to turn on.