Cache Ideas

I am looking to start hiding more caches, I have a few ideas that I hope changes the who[le] micro cache concept.

Cool, more well thought out micros would be terrific as far as I am concerned.

If anyone can help me with cache ideas and containers I would appreciate it. Anything from containers to camouflage if you can help me please.

Well, for containers you have been pointed to another thread, but you can use pretty much anything that seals well. Many use film containers, but you can buy matchstick containers for less than $1 and they have a rubber gasket for a seal. Not real sturdy, but relatively waterproof would be any old plastic container with a screw on lid.

The main thing that makes a micro interesting, in my opinion, is either the location or the hiding spot. Generally it is my opinion that if an area is suitable for a regular sized cache with trade items, room for TBs etc. no micro should be placed in that area. The proximity rule for listing caches with GC.com means that a micro will prevent a regular sized cache and this is an evil thing when a regular sized cache could be placed there.

One micro I found that I really liked was a cache placed along a highway. There was nothing special at all about the cache other than the cleverness of the hiding location. Along the highway, near a stop sign/intersection were poles in the ground with reflectors on them. These poles were hollow and had easily removeable end caps. The cache placer filled the hollow tube with some material to prevent the micro from falling to the bottom inside the post, placed the cache and replaced the end cap. Reading the log for this cache a lot of folks found the hide very clever.

One of my favorites is GCJ4BT, called Top it Off. The instructions are to take a gallon of water with you when you go. When you get to the cache, you find a PVC pipe hanging low in a tree. The top has a cap on it. Once you remove the cap, all you see is a pipe. Then you realize that you need to pour the water in the pipe. As the pipe fills up, the cache log (in a water-tight container) floats to the top. When you are done, there is a small rubber plug at the bottom of the pipe to drain the water out for the next cacher. Many logs attest to this cacher's prowess with micros. I never miss a chance to get one of his.

One of my favorites is GCJ4BT, called Top it Off.  The instructions are to take a gallon of water with you when you go.  When you get to the cache, you find a PVC pipe hanging low in a tree.  The top has a cap on it.  Once you remove the cap, all you see is a pipe.  Then you realize that you need to pour the water in the pipe.  As the pipe fills up, the cache log (in a water-tight container) floats to the top.  When you are done, there is a small rubber plug at the bottom of the pipe to drain the water out for the next cacher.  Many logs attest to this cacher's prowess with micros.  I never miss a chance to get one of his.

I prefer the caches that require the use of dangerous chemicals http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...82-54c076f61bc0 like Chemical Reaction.

Edited by Kit Fox

My "Your Own Birthday Cache" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...87-487797599f81 has been very popular. People like to have their kids do the arithmetic for their birthdays. The seeker uses the numbers associated with his own birthday to compute the cache coordinates. The resulting coordinates come out the same for everybody's birthday. I invite all you geocachers to copy this cache verbatim for use to find some cache you hide in your neighborhood. (Please do give credit to the original author, Don&Betty of Jackson, MI.) You'll have to change some of the last fudge-factor numbers to make it come out to the coordinates of your cache and not mine. Don't change anything near the beginning though or it won't work. Good luck.

Traditionals!

I have lived in four states and three countries, have traveled to eighteen countries and through every almost US state (haven't been to Maine) and most big cities, and have cached in nine states.

Having seen a bit of the world, I have yet to see a place where a traditional cache couldn't be placed (excepte where prohibited). By this I mean that even in urban high-population areas there is always some cubbyhole near an interesting place that will hide a traditional cache.

After finding my share of hollowed-out pine cones, drilled-out bolts, fake leaves in a tree with coords written on them, film cans embedded in or under logs on the ground, I can say that, for me, traditionals are more fun to find.

So, if you are open to suggestions, think interesting traditionals!

Here's some of my ideas. Please don't use them in Central NY.

1. Some type of pipe near a river or stream with a float in it so that the cache can only be retrieved if there has been excessive rain or flooding and the water level has risen. I would call it rainy day cache or something.

2. A 5-leg multi in a wide open park. The first four spots would form a trapazoid shape if you connected their dots on an overhead map. The 4th spot has instructions to find the place where one lines up with two and three lines up with four. There you will find the last leg.

3. Some sort of laser shooting thing where you have to solve a puzzle to choose which slot to drop an eye-bolt into. Then you shine the laser (which is fixed but can rotate) through the eye of the bolt, and it hits somewhere far away. If you solved the puzzle correctly, that means you are aiming the laser through the right hole, and the cache will be near where the laser is hitting. There would need to be a lot of possible holes, spread out in a pretty big arc, so as to discourage guessing.

4. Here's one I wanted to do a few months ago but never did: Around Christmastime, find a smallish pine tree out in the woods somewhere, and cover it with homemade big white truck ornaments. Say in the cache description that it is a mystery cache, and only christmas ornaments are acceptable trade items. Hopefully, pretty soon all my ornaments will be gone and replaced with an assortment of others

... the cache can only be retrieved if there has been excessive rain or flooding and the water level has risen.

Ooh, floodwaters sound fun. Wonder how many kids and dogs will drown trying to snag this one? :o No seriously, I assume you mean in an area where the water depth or speed would not get to scary levels...

Cool ideas, everybody. Thanks!

-=- Jen, http://www.beware-of-art.com

Edited by Jen and Andy

Egads! We're a "Jen and Andy" pairing too. Doppelgangers! Doppelgangers!

Here's a simple thing I do to get clever cache ideas: I go caching somewhere else. I find a few I like and take the concept back home with me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? :o

I also spend a lot of time browsing eBay. I've found many an unusual cache container just by clicking randomly on auctions.