Tracking Where I've Never Gone?

Resu Eman

I went out yesterday and trekked about 2 miles. But when I returned, I downloaded my tracks and waypoints into the computer and I noticed that there were two lines leading about 4.4 miles north, across a river and through snowy wilderness. I did not go there.

The two lines going North mergeat the destination, and one is going there and the other is returning.

Odd thing is, it shows me going there at a steady 18 miles per hour , and as soon as I get to the furthest point, I return at 1,228 miles per hour.

Now, I have heard of the speed going wacko on units from time to time, but I haven't heard of the unit tracking to places unvisited and unknown. All I can assume is that the receiver lost connection while I was walking along, and 'somehow' things thought I was 4.4 miles North and when it locked back onto me the track returned from it's mysterious journey. I feel kinda' ill at ease about this. I mean, it's just weird to have it go off at 18 miles per hour on its own.

Anybody ever have something similar happen to them?

I had a similar problem with a company satcom that included your location. Truck in my driveway went about 145 miles away in an hour, moved 45 miles in a new direction the next hour, then came home at 160 MPH in the next hour. All this in a Truck with a 74 MPH governor on it. Oh, and the hourly updates were for the truck turned off, when driving/idling it would update the company every 10 minutes with a location.

I didn't mind the computers making GPS errors, what I hated was having to attend a Safety Meeting, a company vehicle orientation, and the chewing out from the safety department for my "reckless" driving style.

My legend has done this once. I was driving I5 from Oly to Seattle, WA. When I got home I loaded the track file onto the computer.

There was a single point that it logged just outside of Reno NV. It has never happened since. I just assumed that it lost it's location for a second and relocked.

No biggie however I could see how this could cause problems if the HR department was using this to track employees.

Scott