PDA's ?

mr. bloodhound

You need to explain what you want the PDA to do for you. You will only get responses, from others, about how wonderful their PDA is.

Do you plan on using Pocket Queries?

Do you want it to have a web browser?

-----You could save web pages and view them off line.

How much money?

Color screen?

Text only?

Do you have an OS preference?

------Pocket PC or Palm.

Cnet.com has some good reviews and user feedback.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

Check out Shopper.com under handhelds and it will help you get an idea on what to look for. It has a little area that lets you ask yourself questions about how and what you are going to use it for. I will also show different mobels and cost and how user have rated it.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Originally posted by leatherman:

Do you plan on using Pocket Queries?

Do you want it to have a web browser?

-----You could save web pages and view them off line.

How much money?

Color screen?

Text only?

Do you have an OS preference?

------Pocket PC or Palm.

Now I'm really confused. lol

I've used both the Compaq 3950 and the Dell Axim. Of the two the Dell just worked while hte Compaq has never quite worked right. So far as I can tell Comapq just can't pull it's head out long enough to get some fresh air.

While the Axim isn't the prettiest it has the better feature set and like I said gave me no problems while costing less.

The Compaq on the other hand has had 4 SD Cards and 2 different PDA's just trying to get the dang thing to work right.

There you go. Real world experience. I would not hesitate to stick with the Pocket PC world.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I use a Palm 125 PDA, I chose it for several reasons.

1) it was inexpensive, I bought it on eBay for $75.00

2) It has an expansion card slot and all my geocaching software is on the card, so if any thing happens to the PDA the card can be used in another unit.

3) It takes 2 AAA batteries that are easily replaceable in the field. Many of the bigger models have rechargable internal batteries that you have to plug into something that you may not have in the field.

4) there are lots of freeware software you can get for it online.

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.

If you decide on a Pocket PC, I'd go for the Dell Axim. I have the basic model (300MHz). It is $250, $200 after rebate (at least a few months ago it was). Best value, even cheaper than a lot of Palm devices these days. The only drawback it is one of the larger Pocket PCs, so decide if size matters. If it doesn't, I highly recommend this.

I use a Palm m130. I have really enjoyed it. I use the geocaching pocket queries and have them sent around every 3-4 days. That way I always have fresh caches ready. I use Mobi Pocket as my query reader and it works just fine for me(although there are other programs available). A feature that helps me when it comes to logging the caches when I get back home is the "notepad" function. As I find a cache, I can write down my info directly on the pda screen and it time and date stamps my entry. When I get back home I know the order that I found the caches, what time I found(or didn't find) them, and any trade info.

The only thing I really don't like about the m130 is that the color screen is difficult to read in bright daylight. I don't know how other black & white screens do.

Hope this helps,

KYtrex

-----------------

Do it today because tomorrow it may be illegal.

I've been taking my Visor geocaching with me for decoding and notes and was considering using it for pocket queries. However, I recently fell with it in my back pocket and I'm now out $99 to get the screen replaced. The GPS is much more sturdy but I think the PDA will stay at home when hiking.

One item that I bought a little after I got my Palm m515 was a hard aluminum case made by RhinoSkin. It has a dent in it that would have probably made much more damage to the Palm. I got mine at Staples for $35.00, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere.