Etrex Legend/gpsmap 60c -- Stupid Question Time

I'm sure this has either been answered many times before, or is quite possibly one of the more silly questions that get asked here. So I appologize in advance.

I'm looking at the Garmin website and comparing an Etrex Legend and a GPS Map 60c side by side. In the "Database or Basemaps" area I notice "Americas Highway or

Atlantic Highway or Pacific Highwayand Marine Point Database" listed under the Legend, and "(Recreational Routable Basemap, Americas) or (Recreational Routable Basemap, Atlantic)" under the 60c. I realize just by reading the Legend runs off a database and the 60c runs under a basemap.

What's the difference between the two? And is one better than the other?

The reason I'd like to know is that I'm still debating on my first GPS device. I've heard lots of good things about the Legend, and amazon.com still has them on sale for $135.94. I wandered over to the costco.com website and they have the 60c for $369.99 (MSRP from garmin lists them at $482.00). It certainly has a lot more bells and whistles than the Legend and my budget would allow for the purchase of the 60c. I'm just also curious as to who has a 60c and how do they like it.

Again I appologize for posting a silly question. :huh:

Actually, BOTH units have a basemap AND a database of POI data. IMHO, I was more impressed with the Legend's basemap than I was with the 60's. But I did not buy either one for the basemap. I never paid any attention to the POIs installed at the factory either - they're basically map data that gets erased when you upload detailed maps (the basemap will stay intact).

But forget about the basemap! The 60 blows the doors off of the Legend in so many other ways! I liken it to comparing a VW Bug and a Lincoln Navigator! Choosing a Legend over the 60 because of the basemap is like choosing the VW over the Navigator because the VW has a nifty-looking radio dial! fuhgeddaboutit!

The Legend is a good unit in its class, but if you can afford the 60 - buy the 60! I started with a Legend and now own a 60C. I'll never go back!

Edited by Neo_Geo

They both have base maps. I'm not 100% on the difference btwn the two. My III+ had the Americas Hwys basemap which was pretty good for major US hwys and even included many major city streets. The maps were useful for some navigation tasks but you had to have a lot of patience because if you were trying to figure out a route from A to B, and there was a lot of distance btwn them (like even 10 city blocks), it req'd a lot of zooming in/out to figure out your path.

The usefulness of a mapping GPS (for me) went up an order of magnitude when autorouting was introduced. This lets the GPS figure out how to get from point A to B, freeing you from the toil of zooming in/out.

Basically, if you can afford the 60C, I would highly recommend it for these reasons:

1) It supports autorouting.

2) It has a colour screen.

3) It has 54(or so) MB of memory vs. the 8MB of the Legend.

4) It has a faster processor which means faster scrolling.

Now, having said that, if you want a unit for finding your location in the woods (along with a good map and compass, as always!), for Geocaching, and for the convenience of showing your position on built-in maps, then the Legend will be perfectly suitable for the job.

In short, I think both are good choices with respect to price vs. features. You just need to decide how much you need.

GeoBC

There have been a few recommendations to go with the 60c and I agree it has many nice features.

However, one consideration is whether your budget is enough for both the 60c and detailed downloadable maps - primarily Garmin's CitySelect-NA? Without the maps you can't use many of the features of the 60c such as the 56MB of memory, lookup of addresses and points-of-interest, and the auto-routing. [The 60c does do auto-routing on the basemap, but that map has only highways and a few of the biggest roads - the smaller roads where auto-routing would be most useful are not included.]

If you can budget both the GPS and CitySelect then the 60c is a great choice. But if the choice is between getting the 60c by itself or a Legend plus maps, then I'd opt for the Legend package. For the Legend the appropriate street maps are MetroGuide-NA. These are the same maps as CitySelect but without support for auto-routing on the GPS.

On the different basemaps:

I've done some comparisons of the same areas in the "Recreational" basemap of the 60c vs. the America's Highway basemap of the Legend. The Legend basemap is definitely more detailed with probably 50% more roads. Neither shows roads down to typical city street level, but the Legend has more of the smaller highways and major city streets.

That's kind of what I figured. The 60c sounds pretty cool, but it also sounds like it has a few more bells and whistles that I don't necessarily need at this time. I do know I want a Garmin product and the Legend is at the top of my list. I guess if the time comes that I need a GPS device to do more than geocaching, I'll look into the 60c.

I appreciate your input. :huh:

I'm also looking into the 60 series because I want something the gets better receiption because my etrex gets terrible receiption . It loses the signal so easily it takes next to nothing just turn it upside down . It's good in the clear with no clouds trees or anything else in the way . The garmin12 that I have gets receiption in my pocket without much of a problem (big big difference) . Just something to think about .

Actually, BOTH units have a basemap AND a database of POI data. IMHO, I was more impressed with the Legend's basemap than I was with the 60's. But I did not buy either one for the basemap. I never paid any attention to the POIs installed at the factory either - they're basically map data that gets erased when you upload detailed maps (the basemap will stay intact).

But forget about the basemap! The 60 blows the doors off of the Legend in so many other ways! I liken it to comparing a VW Bug and a Lincoln Navigator! Choosing a Legend over the 60 because of the basemap is like choosing the VW over the Navigator because the VW has a nifty-looking radio dial! fuhgeddaboutit!

The Legend is a good unit in its class, but if you can afford the 60 - buy the 60! I started with a Legend and now own a 60C. I'll never go back!

(Great answer Neo_Geo.)

It only seems like a silly question, since it's like comparing a horse to a car.

The fact is I still like that horse. The 60/76 might be a step above with mapping and processing, but I can still use the Legend for finding a geocache.

Many people have said metroguide will not auto-route with the 60c,but I have a 60c and metroguide and the gps auto-routes fine,no problems

The latest versions (5 and 6) of MetroGuide for the US do not support auto-routing on the GPS receiver. If you're using one of these versions, then what you're seeing is the 60c auto-routing using the roads on the basemap, not the far more detailed downloaded maps. An earlier version 4.01 of MetroGuide-USA does support auto-routing on the 60c and other suitable receivers, but in general the quality of the routing is worse than what you get with the more recent CitySelect-NA products.

If you're using the more recent versions of MG, try routing to a street address somewhere in a development where the local streets aren't on the basemap. Does the route correctly go through the streets in the development, or does it just get you to the edge of the development and then draw a straight line the rest of the way to the address location?

The reason I'd like to know is that I'm still debating on my first GPS device. I've heard lots of good things about the Legend, and amazon.com still has them on sale for $135.94. I wandered over to the costco.com website and they have the 60c for $369.99 (MSRP from garmin lists them at $482.00). It certainly has a lot more bells and whistles than the Legend and my budget would allow for the purchase of the 60c. I'm just also curious as to who has a 60c and how do they like it.

I have the 60cs and love it. It's listed on Amazon for $370.36.