Well I think you caught another one/two

madonenm

Just figured that I would say hi. I read an article last week in the online version of Wired magazine that pointed to geocaching.com and made the mistake of looking. Last Firday I bought an ETrex Vista (I went in for a Venture) and started playing with it, just what I need, another hobby.

I have not gone looking for my first cache yet but have been playing with the GPS first to get an idea on how it works. The only problem is that I keep finding uses for the thing ;-) So far I have used it to track down my rockets (One of my other hobbies), Measure how far away from the pads my rocket landed, as a very fancy mapping bicycle computer, as a mapping device to map out a trail I was thinking about for next years Socorro Fat Tire Festival and I still have yet to go out and try to find my first cache. It also has driven around with me a bit (altough I need to stop playing with it while driving :-(

I have the waypoints to two caches near me entered in ("Lorenzo's Loot" by The Earwoods (GC310) and "Arroyo de Tajo" by dazderaz (GC4E64)) which I hope to try and talk my wife into trying with me soon. I figure that it will be a good hobby that we can use to spend some more time together. Unlike me, she could use another one to help unwind a bit from work and school.

Anyway I have been reading over the postings for the last couple days and thought I would say hi. There is a loot of good information hiding in here and I am trying to absorb it all. I already know that I am hooked so you will probably be seeing some questions from me in the future (as well as some new Socorro caches after I get my feet wet a bit).

Happy caching

Madonenm, Welcome.

I am by no means an *old timer* to this activity, I’ve only been at it for a couple of months,

and only have 9 finds (I think), but I guess I’m qualified to welcome you.

You sound like the outdoors kind of person so I have a feeling this will pass up some of your other hobbies.

Going with your wife will be fun, but if you have kids in your family wait till you see their reaction when they find a “hidden treasure full of goodies”.

Good luck and have fun.

Scout65 a.k.a Rick

quote:
Originally posted by Scout65:

Madonenm, Welcome.

I am by no means an *old timer* to this activity, I’ve only been at it for a couple of months,

and only have 9 finds (I think), but I guess I’m qualified to welcome you.

You sound like the outdoors kind of person so I have a feeling this will pass up some of your other hobbies.

Going with your wife will be fun, but if you have kids in your family wait till you see their reaction when they find a “hidden treasure full of goodies”.

Good luck and have fun.

Scout65 a.k.a Rick

Well I don't have any kids (yet) and I promise to make sure the beagles don't tear up the caches ;-) Once I get this stuff figured out I was thinking about setting up some temp caches at our larger two and three day rocket launches to give the kids somthing else to do. I figured I could hide a couple differnt rockets kits and motor packs around the field and let them find them. At this weekend's launch I was letting them try and write their name or draw a picture with the tracking feature. The only problem was I had a crowd of about a dozen kids and only one GPS.

As far as tracking the mowing of the lawn...I don't think I will ever be able to do that in good old dry NM (at least not at my house) but I guess I can use the altimiter to measure the height and grotwh rate of the weeds :-)

quote:
Originally posted by madonenm:

So far I have used it to track down my rockets (One of my other hobbies), Measure how far away from the pads my rocket landed

Rockets and GPS seem to be a natural fit. Some guys around here have GPS/APRS in their rockets to get real time GPS updates from launch to recovery. icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by madonenm:

So far I have used it to track down my rockets (One of my other hobbies), Measure how far away from the pads my rocket landed

Rockets and GPS seem to be a natural fit. Some guys around here have GPS/APRS in their rockets to get real time GPS updates from launch to recovery. icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

What a great idea with the rockets and the kids, they’ll have a great time.

Sort of takes me back to my own rocket building days.

Yep,, like it or not you got yourself a new hobby, and my prediction still stands, you’ll be spending more of your outdoors time on geocaching than some of other hobbies.