New Disclaimer Notice

Donnacha

I see there's a new disclaimer note on all the cache pages. I think you only got it on the cache page when you printed a "Printer Friendly" page. Now there for all to see.

alert-on.gifPlease note: To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

I see there's a new disclaimer note on all the cache pages. I think you only got it on the cache page when you printed a "Printer Friendly" page. Now there for all to see.

AFAIK it's "always" been there on the "vanilla" cache page as well (at least for the 11 months I've been using the site), including a hyperlink to the actual disclaimer, but it wasn't as obvious. I imagine that making it more visible has been on the list for the next site-look-revamp, which has just been rolled out with the attributes, new smilies for found/DNF/note, etc.

I doubt if GC.com has been sued. People die when going for walks all the time, and I dare say people die when out caching quite frequently, but we just got to hear about this one - perhaps because of the high-tech GPS/Internet tie-in ("oooh, Ethel, those Michaelwave ovens have killed somebody"). I think the guy had a heart attack; that happens all the time, too.

Beware of confusing "it's in the paper" with "it's remotely important" or "it's never happened before" or "it's happening a lot these days". In general, things are in the paper first and foremost because somebody thinks it will make a good story. (For a start: frivolous lawsuits make a good story, they get everyone imagining that they will be sued, so we'd better ban conkers in the playground.)

Edited by sTeamTraen
so we'd better ban conkers in the playground.

I thought they had already done that - or was it that you have to wear goggles?

I think it was one school that did that (banned or demanded goggles, can't remember which). At which point the press went bonkers about how there's so much of a litigious culture about. They're just feeding their own trolls, really.