Metroguide Question

I have started to talk about this in another post but thought I would ask this here. Does Metroguide give me local restaurants and stores? I was looking at a guys 60cs and he could search for restaurants and such with his and it would take him there. I don't know what software he was using. I thought this was a nice feature. Also, If I know an address, can I punch it in and get there?

Yes. MetroGuide and City Select will do this. The guy probably had City Select on his 60CS. The difference is that City Select supports autorouting on the GPSr. It includes routing information so the GPSr can select the best route. MetroGuide has the same stores, restaurants, hotels and stuff that City Select has, but it doesn't have the routing data for the GPSr. MetroGuide WILL autoroute on the computer. If you sit at the computer, plugin a couple of waypoints and tell it to route, MetroGuide will determine the route, and then you can upload that route to the GPSr (if you have a data cable for your GPSr). If you do a search on the GPSr, it will show the address or point of interest on the map with a straight line between it and your location and YOU will have to determine the best way to get there.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I just recently purchased Metroguide 4.0 and it autoroutes on the computer and on the 60CS.

Metroguide 4.0 was the version before Garmin split the roadmap series into the locked and autorouting City Select and the non-autorouting (on the GPS anyway) Metroguide 5.0 and 6.0 CDs.

I found this old copy of Metroguide on ebay. I've been wanting to get City Select but once you unlock it your $100+ is in the can because you can not sell it.

I figure that I'd try it with a used copy of Metroguide in case I didn't like it I could get my money back out of it. I also still have a Vista that can use Metroguide to look up intersections and addresses.

If you do a search on the GPSr, it will show the address or point of interest on the map with a straight line between between it and your location and YOU will have to determine the best way to get there.

I have Roads and Recreation (bought several years ago for my Legend) on my 76CS and these maps also do not support autorouting. But, if you tell the GPSr to navigate "on road" it will autoroute using the base map that is built into the unit. The base map isn't usually very detailed, but it does surprisingly well in major metropolitan areas.

All that said, I have ordered City Select so I can take advantage of the autorouting with detailed maps.

Just a quick note on MetroGuide...

I have both MetroGuide V5 and Roads & Recreation. I have loaded both into my eTrex Vista because both have advantages and disadvantages. Metroguide V5 offers very recent road and technical data while Roads & Rec uses 1980's circa outdated road map data. The downfall to MetroGuide is it lacks ANY water features, parks, campgrounds, etc. while Roads & Rec has every little pond and creek with points of interest and outdoor recreational interests. MetroGuide V5 is loaded with businesses, malls, strores, that sort of thing & even addresses and phone numbers. Some I would say are inaccurate but there is quite a huge selection of stuff in there.

So you have to choose your version based on your interests I guess. I use Roads & Rec when Geocaching or travelling in the boonies because the water features and such are kind of important. While in non-rural areas, I turn it off and switch to MetroGuide. Thankfully the Vista allows me enough memory to do this for the entire State of Wisconsin and portions of bordering states! :D

Mike K9DRX

http://www.qsl.net/k9drx/