Pda Question Again

Ladycacher

Will cachemate work with any PDA? I am looking at three different models, maybe someone can help me...I know nothing of PDAs. I do want one with a camara and a flip case. Here are the ones I have seen so far that I like: Sony CLIE PEG-TJ27 Handheld, PalmOne Zire 31 Handheld, and the PalmOne Tungsten E Handheld. I have read the Sony is the best for the money, the resolution on the screen being 320x320. I have also read the Palms have problems, but I like the design, flip case, and software...the screen resolution sucks being 160x160. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Cachemate will run on all the Palm PDAs that you have mentioned. I have owned Palm PDAs for the past few years. I don't know if they have more problems than the Sonys. I've avoided Sony's because of their really thin styli. I use my PDAs a lot and I absolutely loathe the skinny styli that they use. I also didn't like the ultra thin buttons they used for the applications.

My Zire71 (320x320) and my T3 (320x480) have been extremely reliable. My TRG Pro was also very good, with my XEIII being the least reliable (was flaky a few weeks after I bought it so I had it replaced under warranty).

If you're not picky about ergonomics like I am, out of the three you listed, I'd probably go with the Sony, too. Good luck with your purchase.

GeoBC

I use a Sony CLIE PEG-TJ27 and it's a very nice unit and works beautifully with cachemate. Get a 256 memory card for it and you will be a happy man (person)! The camera works nicely and takes a nice 640X480 pic that is just right for adding a pic to a log page. Found a very nice case for it on eBay too. Battery life ain't that great but I got an adaptor to charge it in the car so it's not a problem. Yeah the tiny stylus sucks but get yourself a stylus/pen combo then you will always have a pen for signing those micros and keep the skiiny stylus for backup.

On the man (person) thing, I am a women ;) , but thanks for adding the person in there! Next, does anyone have a zire 72? I am looking between it and the sony, they seem to be the same on the specs. There is a huge difference in price however. One is 200.00 and the other is 300.00. This is so frustrating :ph34r: I have spent four days on this now!

Thanks

Edited by ladycacher

Can the Sony be connected to a GPS for autorouting, maps and stuff?

My older Clie can, but I know some are funny. The Zire 72 and the Tungsten E cannot connect b ya serial interface to regualr handheld GPS devices so there are some things, like using Cachemate to sent Waypoints to the GPSr as and when you need them, that these devices cannot do.

Edited by Learned Gerbil

The only way you can use a GPS with a Zire 72 is with a bluetooth GPS. And the battery life of the Z72 isn't very good when bluetooth is on, and a bluetooth GPS has much worse battery life than a regular GPS, because the bluetooth radio uses a lot of power. I would recommend any model that has a universal connector, which includes a serial port. There are few in current production, however. The Zire 71 and the T3 are no longer made, but you may be able to find one for sale somewhere. IMO the T3 is the best value you can find right now, if you can find one.

Hi

I have a palm zire 31 and a Sony Clie. I bought the zire 31 not realizing the communication problem. Having the option to connect your GPS to PDA is to cool to loose. The Sony Zire 71 has the camera and also as a universal serial connection so you can connect with GPS.

Nuwati

I have had the Sony Clie TJ25 for about 1 year and I like it a lot. It has a great 320x320 screen and the memory stick holds lots of maps, photos, etc. I run Plucker for viewing cache pages. I prepare the HTML files with GSAK. I like its small size since I use it every day for business. I got a small nylon case that hooks to my belt. The case has room for a large stylus which I prefer.

As for connecting it to a GPSr, this is done easily with one of the "Y" cables which have both the USB and the Serial ends. I have used it with Street Atlas and it shows your position on the map as you move. I have also used Cetus and Coto, which are GPS programs. Any GPSr with a serial cable will work such as my Legend or Meridian.

The only catch on connecting the GPRr to your Clie is that you need a special null modem adapter between the GPSr cable and the Sony cable. The Sony side needs a small voltage on one of the pins. You can buy a special GPSr cable ready to go, or you can build a null-modem adapter with some wire, two F 9-pin connectors, a 9-volt battery connector, and a 9-volt battery. I built one in a few minutes and it works great. Go here to buy a ready made cable: PC-Mobile Cables